Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Six weeks post microdiscectomy with back pain-

Clcw108CClcw108 Posts: 3
edited 03/23/2014 - 3:21 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi six weeks post microdiscectomy of l5-s1. Still having some back pain. Will this ever go away? Dr says normal and it takes 3 months to heal completely. I'm scared that I will continue to have pain. I did not have back pain after surgery up until a week or so ago. I also never had any back problems until this issue. Thanks.

• Timka2003TTimka2003 Posts: 9
    edited 09/28/2015 - 7:41 PM

I have had discectomy done about 5 weeks ago. I am still experiencing back pain which was not there prior to the surgery (only sciatica pain was there on my right leg which is better after surgery).

Can you please tell me if you are still having back pain or how long did it take the pain to go away. Please email me at timka_2003@yahoo.com

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • Hi there, I'm 4 months post second microdisectomy, I didn't have any back pain pre surgery, just sciatica. However, like you, I had post surgery back pain. This, I believe was just wound pain which takes a while to recover from. The main thing is to keep moving, I found just getting up and walking around the house every hour at least helped. Your posture can have a huge effect on your back. definately don't sit in a recliner, sitting is really bad in the early stages. I was told to perch, lie down or stand, which included eating, not easy I know.

Have patience it does get better, there is a lot of healing to do, your muscles need to knit together and this causes back pain. Once your wound is healed it's good to take a warm but not too hot shower, be careful not to burn the area. I also found heat packs a God send, again, watch you don't get them too hot. Your PT will advise you and help with the back pain I think I was about 6 weeks before mine gradually eased.

Take care and don't do too much too soon, especially don't bend, twist or lift.

All the best
  • Timka2003TTimka2003 Posts: 9
    edited 09/29/2015 - 10:40 AM
    i am just too afraid that i am going to end up having another incident on pain. so dont really know what to do. How long did it take for you to completely heal from the back pain.
  • Hi, well....my pain is mainly leg pain now, I'm 4 months post op, it's like the sciatica I had pre surgery but caused by the scar tissue around my S1 after two surgeries. This is my biggest problem. The back ache comes and goes depending on what I'm doing. Always if I do too much it plays up. Just make sure you see your Dr and have your medication sorted to help with the pain, don't try to be a hero, I did and ended up in so much pain that I couldn't do anything. The medication can be adjusted and you can gradually start to wean off it as you feel better.
  • Thanks Michelle.. From past two days the pain only starts to come in the afternoon, and it is so bad that I can barely stand. For leg sciatica pain I have been doing stretches and that does seem to be helping. I guess I have to go back to the strong pain medication to control my pain. I wish my doctor was more informative who could've told me what to expect post surgery. When I called the doctor yesterday, I got a call from nurse that it is very normal but the pain in the evening is so severe that I can barely stand up.
  • yes, I think if I remember I got worse as the day went on. Try to make sure you keep on top of your medication, to the minute, I found that if I was an hour late taking it then the pain started up very quickly. You may find that the more walking around you do the quicker your pain eases off. I found moving around was very good for that, once I was up that was lol. I was a good few weeks before my stitches properly dissolved and that caused a lot of my wound pain. Do you think your back pain is wound pain?
  • My stitches were staples and they came out two weeks post surgery. Today, I took pain medication after every few hours and that did help a lot. I also did exercises that I do during physical therapy and that did help a little as well. I think my pain flared up as I over exhausted myself on Sunday. I will post my update tomorrow and see how much better it has gotten.
  • There you go, sounds like you are getting on top of the pain. I'm glad you are feeling more comfortable. It's just getting to know what works, you are doing really well and it's still early days, just take it easy and don't overdo things.
  • Ihi Michelle, I was feeling really well..I went for a walk yesterday and walked for about 2 miles. This morning when I woke up and felt great..felt fine in the morning as well...went to drop my child to school and when I try to get out of the car my back started to hurt again...have you ever had similar experience....if so, how long did it take for the pain to go away ...please let me know what can help...
  • Hi,

Yes, it can be up and down, especially if you overdo it. I'm up and down all the time and often have flare ups. I find that the flare ups last less and less though and I recover from them quicker. I think it's our body's way of reminding us that we are not totally out of the woods. Just take it easy.