Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ibuprofen question

Can anyone tell me the difference between short term and long term in regards to taking ibuprofen? I'm having trouble finding this info.
I'm currenlty taking 800 mg of ibuprofen 3x daily. I take it exactly 8 hrs. apart with a large glass of water (12 oz). The pain returns about 1 hr. before my next dosage but will pace the floor before I take my dose sooner. This is my 10th day of doing this. Thanks

• You may want to search "ibuprofen" on Google. Some lists that pop up might be from WebMD, RXlist, Drugs.com, etc. Long time NSAID usage can increase your risk for heart related ailments. The list is much more complete though.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I did that already. What is considered "long term use"? A month, a year?
  • I would contact your pharmacist. They usually are very knowledgeable.
    alif l4-s1
  • I have taken the same dose consistently for over a year and intermittently for years. I end up taking mine every 7 hours during the day because of the same problem you mention, but I always ensure I have food in my stomach. eat a lot of fiber, it will most likely give you constipation.
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
  • Thank you, murraymr. I have taken one 800 mg off and on over the years as well. I never took it three times daily as I do now. I just have to be diligent about the side effects.
  • If you take it at that dose for more than a week or two it will probably start eroding your stomach lining, potentially leading to gastritis or stomach ulcers. This risk can be reduced by taking a COX-2 selective inhibitor such as Celebrex rather than a traditional NSAID. It can also be reduced by taking a PPI such as Nexium, Prilosec etc

I am on the other end of this, having taken an NSAID on and off for six months and having my stomach destroyed. It is awful. I feel sick all the time. I am losing weight rapidly (mostly muscle) which really sets back my PT progress (losing strength). I am on Nexium, Zantac and various antacids but still feel like shit. I wouldn't feel so bad about it if the NSAID had helped my pain, but it didn't. It was just prescribed for "good measure".

My advice would be to only take it if it is truly helping, and to mitigate the risks by using it for short periods, changing to a COX-2 inhibitor, and/or taking a stomach protecting agent like a PPI (Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Dexilant, Protonix etc.) or Cytotec, which is an enzyme much like the one NSAIDs destroy.

Talk to your doctor, of course. I am just another patient and these are my opinions which are based on my experience, not to be construed as medical advice.
  • thank you, mcjimjam. I plan to stop taking it as soon as I can. So far, that is the only antiinflammatory that has helped. I hate to start taking something else to combat the side effects of something else. It feels like a never ending cycle!
  • DaffydolphinDaffydolphin Posts: 98
    edited 03/30/2014 - 6:13 AM
    After a surgery, my younger brother, 62, was put on six 200mg of ibuprofen per day. He had no GI history. Three months later he was in the ER then hospital, almost dying from a massive internal intestinal bleed. For years I took naproxen, 400 to 600mg per day for base level neck, shoulder and arm pain. During the fourth year my blood pressure became very poorly control even after significantly increasing BP medications. My heart rate had become irregular and resting EKGs showing abnormalities. I was scheduled for a full cardiovascular work up, but before it was done, I was in the ER/hospital after a cardiac event. After several days in hospital evaluation and testing and 3 months of extensive out patient testing and monitoring my cardiologist had me completely off any NSAID. He had no other explanation. Over the next six months everything returned to normal and my Cardiologist returned my care to my PCP.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • I will not take these because of the way they reck havek on our stomach lining and I myself feel they are more dangerous the pain meds. I had gastric bypass in 2002 and my doctors told me not to take any nsaids because they would make my stomach bleed. I won't even take aspirin. I do take Excedrin Migraine because its the only thing that works for me.
    Female 44 survivor of thyroid cancer...just had two surgeries for breast cancer and chronic back pain. Live in upstate ny. On 8mg dilaudid 6 a day and 60mg morphine sulf er 2x day