Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleeping after 3 level acdf surgery

Hi everyone,, i am 3 days post op from acdf surgery. I am in a soft color. I was instructed not take off, i have to wear it when i sleep. I have been trying to sleep since i came from hosp. I cant lay on a bunch iff pillows anymore. Can i lay flat on one pillow with my collar on ?? Please help. I am so tired. So uncomfortable ..

• Please. Can someone tell me how soon i can sleep on my back flat ? I am 3 days post op after acdf surgery. I am so uncomfortable i have slept since i came sunday afternoon. I use pillows to prop me up i tried the recliner. Can i lay flat my back or side. I was told i have to always where my collar.
  • I could ONLY sleep in my recliner after my ACDF. Getting out of the recliner took some manuevering but it can be done with patience and practice. Laying flat on my back or on my side was out of the question because when I had to get up, for instance to go to the bathroom, raising and holding my head up was near impossible. Sleeping and resting in my recliner was the only option for me.

I hope by now you are finding a way you get your much needed rest and most importantly some sleep. I know it's hard and right now you are probably feeling hopeless but just hang in there it does get better.
  • I am 21/2 months out from 3 level acdf and wearing an aspen collar 24x7 except to shower or drive. I still can't sleep in the bed. hoping to be out of the collar in 2 more weeks, really miss my bed.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • what is an aspen collar @ davrunner ?? and to rulesofthesun I am so sorry to hear your unconfortable I cant give you advice as I am waiting for my surgery April 28th so I have nothin yet to offer you as I will be in the same boat as you . but I can wish and hope that you have found some sort of relief in getting confy and sleeping better. keep us posted on how your doing
    ACDF One level C- 4 April 2014
    Cervical Spondylosis \ Myelopathy
    Chronic pain sufferer since 2005
  • Get an electric recliner and live in it for 3 months!