Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

going on a differant route

I have been dealing with my back pain since 1986. (boy time sure fly's by even when you are not having much fun.) Over the course of years I have mostly been given medication by a primary care doctor unless something new pops up. When that happens I usually end up getting a consult to see a pain doctor for a epidural or surgeon. However there has been 2 times when I ended up seeing and being treated by a Rheumatologist instead of a pain doctor. While there is more going on with my back my arthritis plays a major role with the pain in my back. My guess is that if you have back pain you probably have in some degree arthritis (DDD bone spurs) also. Has anyone gone to a Rheumatologist?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    with or without surgery, there is a good chance of arthritis forming. Most of the time, when there is arthritis of the spine, it is the osteoarthritis type.

Osteoarthritis has no cure. I can start to enhance and degrade the joints in your body.

After I had all my spinal surgeries, my degenerative arthritis starting ripping apart my shoulder joints. That resulted int two complete shoulder replacements with implants. The arthritis continued and ripped apartt my hip joints, which resulted in two complete hip replacements with implants. It is containing down to my knees. It will just be a matter of time when I will need knee replacements. No stopping it.

On the other hand, Rheumatoid arthritis can be managed with medications. My physiatrist sent me to a Rheumatologist after I had the necessary blood work. Everything proved negative. So that would be the major reason for seeing a Rheumatologist, to determine what kind of arthritis you have.

For details about Arthritis, visit Spine-Health's sister site Arthritis-Health
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hey ron
    did you ever have the test where they inject radioactive dye into you to check for arthritis? they injected it into me and i had to wait for a period of time for the dye to get absorbed properly into my system and then they took pictures. i was a bit hesitant for a radioactive material to be injected into me but apparently it was no problem. well anyway, the test showed i did not have any arthritis in my back. they did every test known to man and more to check for my back. you know what they were so i don't have to repeat myself. lets say my orthopedic doctor was very thorough with his diagnosis of sciatica. there was no doubt that i had it with all of the tests done. lets say, when my wife turns off the lights, i still glow. it is a fun way to find me when she is frisky lets say.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Isn't bone spur growth a sign of osteoarthritis? My surgeon told me I had osteoarthritis in my lumbar spine, but I don't know if it was just because the bone spur growths or if there is other evidence to diagnose this via MRI?
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014