Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have experience with SI Joint Dysfunction?

LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
edited 03/31/2014 - 4:34 PM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
2 months P/O and I've had continued nerve pain/spasms in my buttocks, upper thigh, calf and sometimes numbness in my leg and the top of my foot. I've also had sharp and pin prick type pain to the left of my tailbone. I had a follow up with my surgeon and after discussing my symptoms and physical exam, he also believes that I am dealing with SI joint dysfunction with secondary Piriformis syndrome that may be pushing on my sciatic nerve. He also discussed continued nerve pain from surgery ( the 3 nerves that were compressed were very red and inflamed), and possible nerve damage from a previous test I had. He always thought I had SI joint problems in addition to my spinal problems ( I had 2 SI joint injections prior to surgery) which at the time I didn't think helped very much. He asked me if my deep buttock pain has worsened and I told him yes, so maybe the injections did help? I'm honestly not sure and I'm a bit apprehensive to have another one, because even if it helped some, it didn't provide me enough relief. I do trust my surgeon so I will follow his recommendations. I am being referred to a physiatrist for ongoing treatment. It looks like more tests/injections are ahead of me through this long battle of pain. But at least I have a plan and I'm just hoping to get the pain to a manageable level. Does anyone have experience with SI joint and/or Piriformis issues? How was it diagnosed? What treatments were tried and did they help? I am new to this so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Progressive DDD
Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
Discectomy L5-S1 2002
Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014