Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please, is anybody out there that might be able to tell me what this is? Help me

I hope somebody has had similar symptoms as I do so I can pursue proper treatment.
For a few years now I've had right hip pain and lower back pain that wraps around like a tight belt.
I was diagnosed in October with a bulging disc in my lower lumbar as well as a right hip spur. I've tried muscle relaxers that make me extremely tired and just bleh feeling, I've tried Mobic which makes dizzy and tired. I've tried heat and ice - doesn't seem to do much. I start physical therapy next week.

A new symptom has arrived. Started 3 weeks ago while I was making dinner. Pins and needles in my left foot as well as twitching throughout my left leg (like little mini muscle spams that come and go), tightness or a cramping feeling in foot, sharp shoot electric sensation that zapped down my leg and out my foot, as of this morning my left upper part of leg has dull pain when walking and now the "twitches" have appeared in left buttocks. I went to the podiatrist a day after the pins and needles and numbness in left foot started and he did x-ray and said I have flat foot but saw no broken bones (because I did take a very hard fall on that foot in January and it still hurts from that fall). I told him I do have the slipped disc so he advised me to go back to my spine doctor. She just said "here is some meds" and go to physical therapy. She didn't know if the left leg is from my slipped disc because bulge in on the right side. She said "test can expensive". OMG, I don't care at this point. The sensations are driving me crazy!

Just some history - I was just diagnosed last weekend with labyrinthitis(cause i get vertigo with double vision spells out of the thin blue air -- episodes started in 9-2012). They did a Brain MRI and found nothing of concern but they also took my blood and I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid. So I have to get meds for that now too, not sure if it causing my vertigo spells but going to a neurologist for that. I don't think the back/leg thing is intertwined with the hypothyroid/labyrinthitis.

So with my leg thing I'm concerned. It's not MS or anything like that because they did a brain scan and my brain looked good. So what it is it? Could be my herniated lower lumbar disc? Has anybody had this? What can I do? Could this be sciatica, is this what it feels like? Please help!

• Hi, sorry you're in so much pain. My sciatic pain is very similar to what you describe. There are some different kinds of nerve pain for me, personally. Sometimes I get the tingles and pins and needles in my ankle, and other times I get the sharp, shooting pain in parts of my leg and hip. These are a result of my herniated disc. If you look at a map of where your nerves are, I can see which herniation is affecting which specific nerve.
    I was just prescribed Neurontin for my nerve pain. It works on the nervous system to 'quiet down' the nerves. There are supposed to be a bunch of side affects, but I just started; I haven't had any yet. Maybe ask about a nerve med?
    DDD, L3-S1 almost gone. Waiting to hear about 3 disc fusion. Sciatica and arthritis. Life is like a box of chocolates...
  • Hi,

Thanks for responding. I am not sure exactly where my herniation is - they never told me. They just said in the lower lumbar, very low like tailbone area and when she looked at my spine last week she said "wow it's very tight through this area, very tight."
  • I have been very concerned about weird twitches too (mine seem predominantly in the upper body but I have had them lower down too). I have had two doctors tell me that they are caused by my hypothyroidism which can also cause pain, weakness and inflammation, all of which I have. I must confess I am sceptical because the meds don't seem to be working despite being on them for a while and increasing the dose but you mention hypothyroidism so maybe that is what it is. Honestly, I too would love to get a straight answer about this. I have had more advice and comments by the people here than from the doctors. I know how scary it is not knowing what is going on in your body. Try to stay positive.
  • I just did a search on the Mayo clinic website for symptoms of hypothyroidism and twitches are NOT one of them!
    So bang goes that theory.