Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new and help!

twizttwiz Posts: 6
edited 03/30/2014 - 1:56 PM in New Member Introductions
Hello all!

I was in a accident 6 weeks ago. MRI results last week showed 1 bulging and 1 herniated disc in the neck, 1 herniated disc in middle back, and yet one more in the lower back. There is nerve impingement as well. I'm overwhelmed with both the pain and information. I am at a complete loss as to what I do next. I'm terrified of what this means for the rest of my life. I have always held a very active lifestyle and jobs.

Since the accident I have been seeing a chiropractor (no manual adjustments yet), and a wonderful massage therapist (the only thing that gives me a short bit of relief from the pain). Nsaids and tylenol have not worked. I have not taken anything stronger yet due to being oversensitive to things like muscle relaxers and pain medication. I may change my mind and give them a go soon, as my pain is now causing nausea at times.

Here are a few specific questions:
*what kind of dr do I see next?
*can I start pt soon?
*am I looking at pain for the rest of my life?
*is it possible, in time to get back to regular activities (climbing, biking, etc)?
*how long does it take for the severe pain to reduce so I can do things like take out the trash or sit on my couch?
*I'm told its ok to do things, despite the pain. But the pain is unbearable at times. Comments on when you should rest and when you grin and bear it.

I'm really scared about this...and my future.

Thanks for any information or encouragement you can offer.

• What doctor told you about the results from I assume is an MRI? Xrays alone can not determine bulging or herniated discs, nor nerve compression, so your best bet would be to see a board certified spine surgeon for a consult to see what he thinks, based on his examination of you, and the imaging studies you have had done.
    I am including a couple of links for you, that might help......

One thing that I would strongly caution you against, is allowing any form of spinal manipulation until you have been medically cleared by a doctor who is familiar with interpreting MRI's regarding the spine. Allowing anyone to manipulate your spine without being told that it is okay puts you at danger for further problems.
  • Is it better to start with a surgeon, even though surgery is the absolute last thing I would do? Why?

It was an MRI, read by a radiologist and explained to me by a P.A. and chiropractor.

Good thing to know about the manipulation. It is not something I want to have done anyway.

I will look over the links. Thanks!
  • Just a consult with the surgeon will give you the best determination of what might be the cause of the problems you are experiencing, and what treatment options are available. You can discuss seeing a chiropractor with him and he will advise you if he feels that it is safe.
    Board certified ortho or neuro spine surgeons are specially educated in dealing with and treating spine conditions, therefore, you want him to suggest what treatments might be most effective. Most people who see a surgeon are not in fact, candidates for surgery.
    If you read the link to the Step by Step Guide to getting treatment, it outlines some of the steps and treatment options he may suggest.