Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle cramps in muscles around ribs

CMCCM Posts: 100
edited 03/30/2014 - 5:33 PM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I am having muscle cramps from hell in the area of my ribs on the right side and it seems to wrap around all the way to the center of my chest (at the bottom of the sternum). I also have some pain and muscle cramps in the center of my upper back, but I don't know the level number. I don't know how many MRIs I've had and the doctors haven't found anything to explain my symptoms, which is extremely frustrating. I also occasionally have a weird muscle spasm deep in my chest. It almost feels like my heart, but I don't think it could be that. Anyone else here have a thoracic spine condition with symptoms like I've described? Thanks.

• Hi CM,

I have all of those symptoms and more. I have been dealing with this for about two years and had multiple MRI's, CT scans etc. I have also tried almost every from of non invasive treatment. The only thing I found along the way that has helped is Chiro adjustments for my ribs. My most recent diagnosis is that the ligaments that hold my ribs in place are stretched and my ribs are not staying in alignment. I do have multiple herniated discs in my thoracic area but the pain from the ribs is worse and greatly decreased with Chiro. The latest treatment I am doing on top of the chiro adjustments is prolotherapy injections into the stretched ligaments. These are done every four weeks and done right after an adjustment. I have done one round so far.

This is the very short version of a very long story. If you have any questions please feel free to ask or to PM me.

• My pain does wrap around when it's bad. I feel it very strongly in my ribcage. I guess the pain is just radiating from the spine.
  • Janelle,

You wrote, "My most recent diagnosis is that the ligaments that hold my ribs in place are stretched and my ribs are not staying in alignment." Did your doctor base his diagnosis on any of the images, or on your symptoms? Also, do you have any weird muscle spasms that feel like they are deep inside your chest?

Do you know what's causing your pain? Do you have muscles spasms too?

Thanks both of you for replying
  • WeeBoo63WWeeBoo63 Dryden ontario x1151t421Posts: 2
    I have been having similar problems For many years I have had problems with the muscles in between my front, side and back ribs. I get little muscle "knots" about the size of a loonie that seize & cramp up just like a mini charley horse. It has been occurring more frequently and in more areas than before. I went to school for massage therapy so I know how to try to "release" the muscle knot but it only works sometimes. It is in the areas where a person would have intercostal neuralgia but instead of nerves it's attacking the muscles and I don't know what's causing it and it is getting worse everyday. Has anybody heard about this and where can I find research for this condition? . I desperately need to find out how to prevent these painful episodes. Thank you for your time and consideration, please.... I would be greatly appreciative of any help I can get thanks. :)