Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Surgery by epidural anaesthesia

I have a herniated disc @ L5/S1 which has impinged the nerve on my right side. I have been offered surgery but been unable to go through with this as I have an intense fear of being put to sleep.
Does anyone know of any surgeons/anaesthetists that will perform the surgery using an epidural anaesthesia in the uk? Preferably in Wales or Liverpool? Is there anyone will do this on the NHS?
I really want to have the surgery, but cant go through with it!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 03/31/2014 - 3:27 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health and how to get started here

Have you discussed this with your GP or Surgeon?

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • edited 03/31/2014 - 6:07 AM
    I have yes, my surgeon has refused to do the surgery using this form of anesthesia and my GP is unaware of anyone that can perform the surgery and has basically told me its up to me to find someone who can.
    Ive hit a brick wall really and could do with pointing in the right direction!
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 03/31/2014 - 6:39 AM
    I doubt that you are going to find a surgeon who will perform a spine surgery using an epidural......the risks of that type of surgery, using that anesthesia method are too great for you to move, or flinch or something to go awry.
    I wish that I had better news, but don't think that I have ever heard of that being done.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sorry you are not having any luck with this, I think they only do this anaesthetic on certain types of surgery, I don't know how you would find a surgeon if your gp won't refer you.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • edited 03/31/2014 - 9:36 PM
    Thank you for the comments. I believe it can be done. if you google it, which I have more times than I can remember, it brings up papers and links to it being done and being a successful alternative.
    However I cannot find anyone who can do the procedure in the uk.

• I am sorry to hear about your back problems. You have come to the right place.

I am going to chime in. I had a TLIF in July 2013. The surgery was pretty major as far as moving, cutting disc's and inserting 2 rods and 4 screws. I had a pretty cut and dry surgery. I could never do it with an epidural. I had a c-section with a epidural and that was completely different.

Good luck making you decision. I would advise scheduling an appointment with the anesthigologist. They can help you with your fears.
    L5/S1 TLIF July 18, 2013
    4 Screws 2 Rods and BMP
    Post surgery L4 Dermatones