Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve conduction study

Have any other members had this test? I am having it on my leg due to an on and off tingly and burning type of pain. I also have a pain pump implanted into my back and metal rods from scoliosis. One question is is if other members found the test painful, and another question is if it showed any results. Before I had the pain pump implanted I would constantly have back pain that no one could ever find the cause of. I'm afraid this is starting all over again, and that this test will show nothing as well for my leg pain. Any feedback or advice would be very helpful, thanks.
2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak

• LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 03/31/2014 - 5:01 PM
    I had an EMG that included the nerve conduction study. The shock was uncomfortable but bearable. They will start with a milder shock, then it will gradually increase. It's a strange feeling as the shock shoots along the muscle path they are testing. There was some leg twitching as well, it was also strange but bearable. The needle test only hurt because that was my problematic area. The needle test showed chronic S1 nerve damage consistent with S1 Radiculopathy. I had this test for sciatic pain.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • That's what it felt like to me. Not pleasant, but not the worst pain in the world. Lots of twitching too. Confirmed neuropathy in my leg. It's one more piece of the puzzle, & I think worth having done.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • I have also had an EMG, I am 15 and although it wasn't comfortable it wasn't that bad. The hardest part for me was to have my muscles relax for the test but other than that nothing big. Nothing was shown the first time around, I am going to be getting another one done in the near future for some unexplained pain and symptoms. Hope that this helps, let me know how it went!