Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated Discs and the Stairs

Who has any advice or experience with the help or the hassle that stairs would create, as I learn to live with a herniated L4-L5 disc? We're thinking about moving into a house with stairs, while our current home is a ranch style - I've seen some posts that using stairs can actually help the healing and strengthening process. Comments anyone?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 03/31/2014 - 9:24 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Going down stairs is far worse for me than going up them. I can walk up a flight of stairs normally, but when I go down I have to go one at a time, usually. Right foot down, left foot down on the same stair. Repeat until at the bottom.

I have stairs in my house, but I wish I didn't!
    (see profile for medical details)

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • Besides the pain, I'm extremely klutzy & fear falling. Two years ago we were looking to rent a house, & put in 2 applications for 2 houses with stairs that were rejected. We ended up with a 1 story. Thank God, because the move was what did me in. There is no way I could live in a house with stairs.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • I think it really depends what's wrong with your spine. I have a lot of restrictions, particularly regarding exercises but steps & stairs have never been one. In England 1 story houses are called bungalows & in the past a lot of Londoners have retired into them so much so that doctors warn of getting "Bungalow Legs" advising that climbing stairs is great exercise for the elderly.

Having said that, I live in a big house with a lot of stairs. Fortunately we have some bedrooms on the ground floor..some weeks pass without me ever going upstairs!! There are times I use them for slow & steady exercise. My minds very divided on this as you can tell. ;-)

I hope you make the right choice for you. My funny husband says, "yes, live in a house with stairs..just don't keep anything important up there!!"
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
This discussion has been closed.