Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Very Painful Epidural Steroid Injections

I had a Epidural Steroid Injections and during the process my lower back as well as both of my legs because embarrassed in extreme pain. Is this normal? I was even sedated but the pain in my lower back and both legs was just aweful.
1992 L5/S1 Laminectomy
2001 L5/S1 Second Laminectomy
2008 L5/S1 Fusion.

Current Condition:
C5-C6 disc herniation
C6-C7disc bulge
C2-C6 Spinal Stenosis and Foramina Stenosis, facet joint degeneration and osteophyte
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    Yes, there will be soreness around the injection site, but I am sure your doctor left instructions that if there are any big changes, more pain, etc contact them.
    Call your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 04/01/2014 - 5:53 AM
    I find them highly unpleasant and I wasn't sedated for any of them. I had 3 in the past year. It's not the worse pain I've felt but during one of them my entire left leg twitched and was painful . I never felt pain in both legs. During one of them I just felt pressure along my lower back but it resolved quickly afterward. What space was injected? Are you still painful or was it just during the injection? I had one about 13 years ago that was awful but it was not X-Ray guided so the Dr kept poking because he had trouble getting it in. Then I could feel the blood dripping down my back, it was a nightmare. The one I had for my C-section in 2006 was also not X-Ray guided and he had trouble getting it In. The X-Ray guided ones went much more smooth, but they aren't pleasant.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • i've had numerous ones and have never been sedated. they are not the most pleasant things to have done, but i was never in pain afterwards. the only thing that happened to me were my legs, specifically my right one, being numb. they had me sit for about 2o minutes to see if anything went wrong then i was sent home. there was a little soreness but nothing to write home about. the only painful part was when they put the needle in the disc to numb it. that was a bit painful but it was not that bad. i had to have injections in numerous places for my last one. he would occasionally hit a tender spot which made me give a little sound of pain, then after a few seconds, it went away. i usually try to watch the scope because it takes my mind off and i find it interesting. once he gave me a picture of the disc with the needle going in. i find these too interesting to get pain from them. if they made a movie of my fusions i would like a copy of it. they used to do movies when one got scoped for a knee or shoulder. i had my shoulder scoped and opened up at different times and they made movies
    of which i got a copy also.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • a level of increased pain is common after the injections, for a few days......any increased numbness, tingling , or pain that continues past a few days is something you should contact the doctor about.
    I have never had sedation with mine either, but did get an injection of lidocaine prior to the injections
  • All of mine were done at the same spine clinic. I was always completely sedated! I thought this was normal so never questioned it, I wasn't offered a choice. Did you guys ask not to be sedated? I'm now thinking it could be wise to know what's going on in that room. Once I regained consciousness with a very sore throat. They told my husband they had to put a tube in because I became congested during the procedure.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • they asked me if i wanted sedation. I declined, if you did you could not drive home and since i wanted to drive i did not have it. like i said they had me sit for a while to see if everything was ok which it was. like i said for me they were not that big of a deal. what got me nervous was the washing of my back with the iodine material which reminded me of my back surgery where i got washed with the same stuff. injections really never helped me. i think the first one i had helped but just for a short while.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Sense memory can be the weirdest thing! Just the lights & smells of medical places make lots of experiences come flooding back to me. I think complete sedation was just the way they liked to do things at that clinic, all of my procedures were the same. The epidural injections never did much for me either but you never know until you try. Some people get fantastic results.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • That I felt the pain all across my back and down both of my legs. I did cry out that it hurt and it seems it went away as quickly as it came but it was firefighting. Especially since I felt it in BOTH legs. Prior to getting this injection I have been having lower back pain all the way across, not like any back pain I've ever experienced in my 20 years of back issues. The pain is all the way across and if I cross my legs it become worse. It's kind of a sharp backache with pulsating. I told my Pain mgmt dr about this and he suggested getting this shot. He told me after if it didn't help I'd need a new MRI. The new pain I've been having across the lower back comes and goes. It started out mild about a month or two ago and has progressed to be extremely painful when it comes back. When it happens, I can't sit, or lay down the only relief I can get is to stand up. So, having this pain all across my back and down both legs during the procedure really freaked me out.
    1992 L5/S1 Laminectomy
    2001 L5/S1 Second Laminectomy
    2008 L5/S1 Fusion.

Current Condition:
    C5-C6 disc herniation
    C6-C7disc bulge
    C2-C6 Spinal Stenosis and Foramina Stenosis, facet joint degeneration and osteophyte
  • Thankfully that pain resolved after the procedure. I've had many "flare ups" of severe back pain over the years. The pain is very intense, sharp, throbbing and spasms all across my lower back, and the pressure makes it difficult to stand without feeling like my legs will give out. It was usually rest and steroids and within a week or so the pain would lessen. This past year they became more frequent and lasted much longer. My Doc always attributed it to inflammation/arthritis. Have you noticed any Improvements since the injection? As far as being sedated I was simply impatient and wanted the injection done that day and they do not sedate in that office. I had a driver, but I wanted to get it over with and go home immediately after. For me, the quicker the better.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
advertisement