Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Maximummy TLIF 2 level fusion, disc out, cages and rods etc UPDATE

Hi All ... Especially those who have answered my posts .. Thank you.

Well, had first follow up last week with my surgeon who is pleased with my progress and says I am where he expects me to be after the amount of work he did ... Says a number of nerves were badly compressed and it is L4 left and S1 left ( though at the moment S1 right is having a good go!) that are giving me some nerve pain down the legs. Wound is really doing well, though I have more general tenderness of the left too as I know the corset makes me more sore on the left than the right side.) I finally finish my heparin shots this week and also the compression socks .. Great!

This last week I have, mostly, now been able to reduce the OxyContin down from 10mg to 5mg twice a day and am still taking 2mg diazepam before my afternoon nap which I still cannot manage without and at night. His hope is that I will be off these by the time I see him again at 12 weeks.

I am getting out in the mornings more ... Small local trips and the aftermath of these is pretty much determined by individual cars and chairs in coffee shops ... Sure you all understand what I mean! Still find it a bit much to see people both morning and afternoon (mainly grand kids) but am managing to see friends Saturday night for a take a away meal and not a late night. Still generally crashed out between nine and ten at night.

Sitting is still a bit hit and miss ... Some days better than others. At least the weather is getting nice, so I am trying another short walk some afternoons too ... Surgeon says three short walks .. Say ten minutes, three times a day is better than one half hour which is still too much at five weeks post op. Trying not to sit long periods and keep moving around. Walking is generally ok.
Sleeping at night is still a bit up and down, but if pain wakes me it is usually just the position I am in and a trip to the bathroom and a quick walk around the room is usually enough to resettle me.

One thing which is a regular pattern ... Whether I take 5mg or 10 mg OxyContin in the morning, whatever I do during the day, I hit a low between 6 and 7 in the evening and have to take a quick release OxyNorm. To me this is the best med I have ...
So ... Some good but still limited progress. I have no desire to drive at all yet as just dressing myself and showering etc is tiring and if I can see a friend and get out a bit without me driving it is enough. Feel if I drove myself I would have less discipline about how long I am out for and would overdo it.

Cancelled a holiday which would be 9 weeks post op .... Would have been a four hour flight and just cannot face the idea of the drive to the airport and the travelling, possible delays etc, will give it a few extra weeks and maybe go somewhere nearer home.
Hope all this encourages those of you still behind me on the recovery front ... I know I have a long road ahead still and have stopped fighting it ...

• It seems that you are on the right track, which will continue to improve with time. It's unfortunate you had to cancel your trip but I completely understand your concerns about travel, hopefully you can reschedule once you're further along with healing, and you can better enjoy it. I'm glad your able to get out a bit, but I'm with you when it comes to getting ready. I feel it's a struggle to shower and try to look somewhat decent, which is usually only for my Dr appointments currently. I use to be very much about my appearance, now I'm lucky it I out my clothes on right :)
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014