Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Protruding Degenerative Disc

namunnamu Posts: 1
edited 04/01/2014 - 8:20 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a L5/S1 Protruding degenerative disc which I have been dealing with for over 3 years. My pain started out as a dull buttocks pain that then progresses to sciatica pain on the left side down to the calf and down to the back of my thigh on the right. I have had 4 epidural steroid injections which helped alleviate the sciatica pain but I still get the dull pain in the buttocks with some pain to the back of my left leg, I get some tingling in my left toes here and there, can’t sit for long periods of time without supporting my body somehow, and get throbbing pain after I have to sit down such as driving in my car or sitting down during classes to take a rest from standing so much. If you look at my profile picture you can see an MRI of my protruding disc.

I just talked with a Neurosurgeon yesterday and he told me a fusion surgery would do nothing to help me out. He didn’t even mention other surgical options and basically told me he would only consider surgery if I got the sciatica pain back all the way down to my calf. I am pretty much xxxx about having to deal with this pain, having to avoid sitting, no flexibility in my back, and hearing that no type of surgery would even help because I have a protruding disc, not a herniated disc.

If anyone has had a similar situation it be nice to hear about what was done to treat it and if there are other surgical procedures that could get rid of some of the pain as well as help with the structural support.

Post edited to remove inappropriate language...Liz spine-health moderator
L5-S1 protrusion