Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery from Microdiscectomy (what to expect?)

Hello everybody!
I am 19 and had been diagnosed with herniated disc L5 S1. The size was 10mm.
All started from 3 weeks of back pain but then got worse with intolerable left leg pain.
I couldn't sleep or do anything because of it. Pretty much living of pain-killers for 2 weeks.
Had my surgery 2 days ago, thank God, it went well.
I was walking the day after my surgery and already able to get of my bed on my own.

I wanted to ask how I should set my expectations regarding my rehab and getting back to normal life?
I know it depends on a lot of factors but still, good to know and keep a certain number in my head
How soon I will be able to normaly sit and attend my university classes (3 hours a day)
My doc said that it must take anywhere from 1.5-2 month to start normaly sittiing but is it really like that?

Also, I wanted to ask for general tips/exercises to boost up my healing process.
Just general guidlines for better recovery if you know what I mean

My dad says it is a life time commitment and I will be a "slave" of my back till the rest of my life
Hope its not true :D

Thank you all for reading!

• frazerislandffrazerisland Posts: 4
    edited 04/04/2014 - 6:14 AM
    I had a discectomy 10 years ago and have had minimal problems with no interruption in my life.

I can't remember everything I did and exactly how long it took me to fully recover. But I did do everything the surgeon told me to do. I know I went to PT some time after the surgery and I think that helped. I also remember walking right away and kept increasing the amount of time I walked. I had the surgery on Nov 10 and was able to take a 4 hour car ride by the end of the month-with stops about every hour (visited family for Thanksgiving). I was in good physical shape at the time and that helps a lot.

Your dad it right-it is a lifetime commitment. You must remain flexible-lots of stretching exercises. Make sure you strengthen your core. The stronger it is the less strain will be put on your back. While I am not a slave to my back there are times it hurts but not so bad that there is an interruption in my life and certainly not as bad as the leg pain I experienced (from what I can remember).

I do want to ask you a favor. Can you post your recovery experience? We have a 14 year old daughter that is scheduled for a microdiscectomy next month and need to set some expectations for her recovery. She has two herniated discs L5/S1 and L4/L5. No back pain but tremendous leg pain. I am hoping because she is younger her recovery time will be less. She is an athlete and wants to be able to get back to competing as soon as possible.

Good luck with your recovery!

• How did things turn out for your daughter?