Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion

Hi! My name is Kim, and I had spinal fusion 3 years ago at the ripe old age of 49,to help my scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and on and on.

I was originally dx with Scoliosis when I was 17. But by that time, surgery was the only option. So my doc said, we can operate now, or wait till you are older.

So I waited.

Well the pain increased over the years. Went the pain pill and pain management route. This seemed to help.

Then about 3 years ago, i had had enough. The pain was intense, well over a 10. Could not stand for more than 5 min. Had a hunch in my back, and a pinched nerve that made my left leg feel like it was being twisted.

So I had pain management doc do an MRI. Results came back, and his expression told me everything. He said, "You have the back of a 90 year old woman."

So he referred me to a surgeon who gave me 2 options. Because of my age an operation could be risky. He said "I can write an rx for pain meds, and a wheelchair now. Or we can operate."

I thought for about 5 min, and then said "Go for it.!"

In hind sight, it was the best decision I ever made.

My pain, on a bad day, ios now maybe a 3. They didn't totally correct the curve, but they did a damn good job.

I actually had 2 operations. First the fusion, which took 8 hours. They used cadaver bone. I now have to titanium rods and 28 screws hold me together.

The second operation, 6 days later, they went in my left side and put in what they call a "cage." It looks like a slinky, and it allowed them to remove some of the bad discs.

I was basically in a drug-induced coma for a month, then 6 weeks in rehab. Rehab would have been less, but I also have MS, and I tire easily. They kept having to give me nasal oxygen. lol

The first thing I remember, when I came to in rehab, was the nerve pain was gone.

I consider myself blessed that my operation went well. I have some limitations. Can't bend..obviously..so I squat. Can't lift more than 5 pounds. and can't twist.

I use a walker due balance issues from my MS. If I didn't have that you would never know I had surgery.

Except for the scar that runs the length of my back.