Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg Numbness

I've noticed lately that my right leg feels like it's going to sleep. Without the pins and needle feeling like when your foot goes to sleep. It's mild, I notice it slightly in my left leg too. In both legs all the way down to both feet.

Over the course of the last few months I went from having a mild back ache, all the way across my lower back, This has escalated to an extremely bad backache all the way across my back that now includes throbbing and seems to grow up my back to the mid thoracic area. It's made worse by sitting, laying or crossing my legs.
It's made better when standing.

The last MRI I had was a little over a year ago. It showed some deterioration of the L4, Mild stenosis and arthritis.

I have a fusion of the L5/S1.

In the past, I've had three back surgeries, all in the L5/S1 with the final being a fusion.

In the past I mostly had sciatic pain.

So, this is all a new type of pain and problem for me.

If you've experienced these new issues I'm having, extreme sudden lower back pain all the way across with central throbbing, and leg numbness and know the cause would you mind sharing with me? My pain management Dr. said that if this last epidural injection doesn't help I'll need to get a new MRI.
1992 L5/S1 Laminectomy
2001 L5/S1 Second Laminectomy
2008 L5/S1 Fusion.

Current Condition:
C5-C6 disc herniation
C6-C7disc bulge
C2-C6 Spinal Stenosis and Foramina Stenosis, facet joint degeneration and osteophyte

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    I would try the ESI and see the results.
    My only question would be what disc levels would your doctor want to have another MRI done on?

I have heard over and over about patients having a fusion at L5/S1 and then later on having problems at the L4/L5 level.
    Its almost like it just climbs up the ladder.

There is some definite merit when folks talk about disc problems above or below where they had their fusion.

But since you are at the L5/S1, you probably are just moving up...

Leg numbness can be attributed to any disc problem as the L4/L5 and L5/S1 level. At lot depends on if there is a new disc herniation
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've been telling my husband for the past 20 years my back has hurt, and all the times I said in the past "my back is killing me" has been dead wrong. Because now my back is honestly "killing me" the pain level is beyond anything I've ever experienced in the past 20 years. I knew the above and below fusion could go bad the Dr told me when he did the fusion in 2008. But right now, I have both lumbar and major cervical problems. My NS has stated 3 times he things I need a cervical fusion, then on the next appt he's not sure if he wants to do it. My PM Dr. insist i get the surgery. I'm at a lost for the first time on where to turn. I guess I'll find a new NS.
    1992 L5/S1 Laminectomy
    2001 L5/S1 Second Laminectomy
    2008 L5/S1 Fusion.

Current Condition:
    C5-C6 disc herniation
    C6-C7disc bulge
    C2-C6 Spinal Stenosis and Foramina Stenosis, facet joint degeneration and osteophyte
  • ron
    that is exactly what happened to me as i have posted on numerous occasions. my dr explained that the fusion causes stress on the disc above and that can herniate out also which is what happened to me. if fact, the herniation and the pain were worse the second time around and a laminectomy did not work and they had to refuse it. at first i felt i had pulled a muscle because there was no way i herniated my disc but i was wrong. i could not get into my car or walk around and then it got better and then worse and then better and then worse until the surgery. i have not been the same since. if my first fusion had no problems, i would not be in pain now. i have had 2 other fusions due to this. the last one was the broken disc where they went into the side. so people who opt for fusions need to be aware, there can be major issues after it.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.