Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Meds that dont help

Does anyone on here have Dr s pushing meds on you that dont help ? Im given Neroutin 800 mg x 3, Effexor er 75 mg x 1, Ibuprofen 800 mg x 3, tramadol 50 mg x 2, Norco 10 mg x 1, Flexiril 10 mg x 2, predisaone 20 mg x 2. The nerotin makes me so sick and spaced out i cant stand it and all it does for my problem is make my leg feel numb to were i cant walk on it. The effexor is for my depression that i dont have.And the predisone with some shots of it here and there hasnt took the swelling down in over 6 months. But the Dr just dont wanna hear that it doesnt help. She said it has to help with the problems that i have like im lieing to her or something.The ibuprofen helps more then anything to relieve some swelling and some heavyness in my hips but the dr is leaning towards stopping it because its bothering my stomache.Me and her is ok with the tramadol. And the norco helps but she only gives me one a day but thinks i may should stop taking it because of dependancy and masking the pain,wich i thought it was suppose to do. Any one ever have any issues like this with there Dr s and meds ???
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    and different classes and types of medications. Its impossible to know what one medicine will do for a person, if its positive or negative. There are general ground rules to the types of medications (Pain, Nerve, Muscle, etc), but doctors dont know for sure how one will work.

I've been through dozens of pain medications, 10 different muscle relaxers, 3 different nerve medications. Think of the
    various combinations:

• - Pain Med A works well with Muscle Relaxer 2, but has trouble with Nerve Medication zz
      - Pain Med B works does not work will with Muscle Relaxer 6, but find with Nerve Med xx
      - Pain Med Z works great with Muscle Relaxer 10 and great with Nerve Med aa
      - etc
    Doctors try to come up with the best overall mix of medications that are going to help you the most. So yes, many times, you might go through so many different medications, some dont seem to work at all. But there is a systematic approach to identifying the proper mix of medications for you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sometimes, especially with the neuropathic medications, you don't realize how much they do in fact help to ease that type of pain , until you stop them. Whatever you do, DO NOT just stop taking the neurontin......it has to be tapered off, just like you did when you went on it.
    Same thing with the effexor, you may not believe that it is helping, but if you were to stop it, you might find that it in fact is......both are commonly used to treat neuropathic pain.
    If you really feel that neither medication is helping, you might consider talking to the doctor about changing them to a different medication that is also used to treat neuropathic pain- cymbalta , which is used to treat both depression and neuropathic pain, or Lyrica, which is used to treat neuropathic pain as well.
    Prednisone is another medication that you need to taper off of, so don't stop that one suddenly either........
  • Metabolic testing, to see how your body metabolizes certain drugs. Another member had it done, & it completely changed his whole med regime. I just posted a topic "update on metabolic testing", if you are interested. It's not a very popular test, so a lot of dr's don't know how to order it, but I posted the name of the tests & the cpt codes which is what the dr would need to order it.

I also posted a topic called "prednisone" if you are interested in reading about that. I've been on the stuff 30 years (not for back issues) so I think I'm pretty much an expert on the stuff.

I took neurontin for awhile, & it made me completely loopy & did nothing for my leg pain, so I don't take it anymore. Results on it's effectiveness seem to be mixed on this board.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • I can definitely relate to what Sandi is saying. I had been taking gabapentin, and after sharing with my doctor and I didn't feel it was helping I was taken off the medication. After the taper I realized how much more pain I was in and saw that it had been helping all along. I talked with my doctor and restarted the medication.
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • after being on it for several months, and still having some nerve pain, I decided it wasn't working anymore, so I wanted off........and off I went......well I found out rather quickly that it was doing far more than I gave it credit for and went right back to it...and stayed on for quite a while. Eventually I decided to try again and was happily surprised to find that the majority of the nerve pain that I was taking it for, was gone.........
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 926
    edited 04/08/2014 - 2:06 AM
    Lyrica worked great for me, but it wiped my short term memory. My pain level is elevated while not taking it. I've tried Topamax in the past for Migraines and it worked okay, but the side effects masked those of having a stroke. At times part of my face would go numb, arms and fingers would as well. Scared the crap out of me.

I'd love to try another nerve pain med so long as the side effects aren't overwhelming.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • and it literally killed off my appetite, to the point that I couldn't manage/force myself to eat more than a spoonful or forkful of food at a time.....it was great for the waistline, not so great when you loose entirely too much weight in less than a month's time.....and even the doctor tells you that it is not the right med for you......LOL
  • I find it fascinating how the effects of these meds change from person to person. Some of the potential side effects can be frightening but I've heard so many fantastic reviews I think it's worth trying until you find the right one for you.

That's funny Sandi..I had the same thing with Lyrica. I know! It's supposed to make you gain weight. I swelled up a lot in the first week but when that passed I'd lost so much weight it was frightening. I'm not that big to start with, I looked anorexic! My doc changed too Savella & instructed me to "take WITH food!!" :-)

I had the brain problems with Lyrica as well. I titrated down & off, then started with Savella. The first month on that was brutal. I wasn't depressed, just couldn't stop myself from crying. I was just 'leaking' all the time! Then the all over muscle pain started. I found people with similar experiences & they were right..the symptoms finally went away but blood pressure issues remained. Savella wasn't for me either. ;-(

Cymbalta was best for me, just a bit foggy. I often read 'we're all different', that's so true of these meds!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • one medication might be wonderful for one, but be a side effect nightmare for another.......I wish that there were some way to decipher which of us is going to have which side effect from which med but there really isn't a one size fits all test for that......I know that with the new testing available for opiates is a step in the right direction but I wish that there were some other way to see about the other commonly used meds in this whole world of chronic pain treatment. That would make it so much easier for all of us
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045

• - Lyrica at a medium dosage turned me into a zombie and cause my lower legs and feet/toes to swell
      - Zanaflex was great at helping with muscle spasms, but slowly turned me into rubber
      - Flexeril was the best at muscle relaxers, but it took me 2 days to recover from the dosage
      - Vicodin helped, but caused stomach problems.s
      - Percodet works but cause stomach problems.
      - etc
    The only point here is that medications are different for everyone. There really isn't one steadfast rule that says, when you have Problem A, you will need Medication Z

It doesn't work that way.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 04/12/2014 - 3:12 AM
    The Flexiril was the worst medication I've ever taken ( made me dizzy, nauseous, full body fatigue).
    Lyrica significantly lowered my brains ability to function.
    So far the Neurontin has been better mentally (causing decreased appetite) but I'm still increasing.
    I'm now off muscle relaxants because the only alternative offered ( Skelaxin) didn't help me in the past.
    No issues with the Percocet but I only get minimal relief from it.
    I've recently started Celebrex over Ibuprofen ( less pills I have to take).
    Personally, some of the side effects have outweighed the benefits. Im still working on taking the fewest meds possible while getting pain relief. It's not a easy process and hopefully you and your Dr can be on the same page when it comes to your medication regimen. I think it's clear from other posts that everyone reacts differently to medications.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • Some meds I refuse to take from prior experience. Not because it was necessarily ineffective but the side effects were not worth the continued use. Prednisone is one of those. I take as few medications as possible and I have drawer full. The doc hands out ibuprofen, cyclobenzaprine and Vicodin like candy. What I know works more than anything in the med drawer is my staying as active and moving as possible and high dosages of quality magnesium. Magnesium Glycinate to be exact. My lower limbs contract and stiffen up if I run out for more than 10 or so days. Vicodin I will take when the pain is bad enough to be distracting as it just allows me to get a job done without having to stop because of the pain. This is what i think Vicodin and Oxycodone was developed for. Oxy is called hillbilly heroin for a reason.
  • I have been on prednisone for 30 years, so I know all about how it can affect people. Because so many people here take it, I did a topic called Prednisone. In it, I talk about some of the side effects, & which can be long or short term.

In no way an I trying to change your mind about taking it, but if you read my post, maybe it will give you a better understanding of some of the side effects.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • As we have said numerous times, all medications have side effects.......the key when it comes to working with new medications to ease pain , is that you have to give them some time. In most cases, your body will acclimate to the medication rather quickly, and the side effects, mental confusion, sleepiness, fatigue all will subside. Muscle relaxers are notorious for causing drowsiness and fatigue when you first go on them........usually within a week or two, those side effects subside....
    Same thing with medications such as Lyrica or gabapentin- and especially after dose adjustments- it is why doctors want patients to give these medications some time before wanting to stop them, before you have had a chance to see the benefits, and have the side effects disappear or greatly reduced . With gabapentin and lyrica, you have to work your way up to the proper dose before the medication is going to be helpful in managing nerve pain, so you have to stick with it, for a month or so to get to the proper dosage and to allow your body to adjust.....
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 04/16/2014 - 4:48 PM
    I was on Lyrica for several months before trying the Neurontin. It was my surgeon that recommended the switch. I knew I couldn't return to work while on it and I still had quite a bit of nerve pain.
    I was on the Skelaxin for a couple months before surgery and I'm trying it again with hopes that it may help this time around.
    I personally couldn't stand to take the Flexiril one more day. My world was spinning (among other things) and I couldn't sleep until it wore off. I agree to give meds a try but that specific one was just not worth it for me.
    I feel we have to stay somewhat in tune to how medications are effecting us (good or bad) in order to find ones that help, and also so we are aware of side effects that could potentially be severe. I always consult with the Dr or nurse before making any changes.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
advertisement