Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What kind of Dr should I visit ?

I have 3 t disk ruptured only slight pain,3 T disk ruptured only slight pain, 6 lower disk all the l's and the SI,with 2 having the nerve exposed and one with a cist growing,Arthritis in all the lower ones and in my hips,some bone spurs, and spinal stenosis at 8mm. I see my family dr and a physicist she referred me too. All she does is give me a bunch of mild meds. All he does is omt with no meds. I hate to badly of either there very nice thoughtful dr s but i really dont think either one seems to know what im going thru or the pain im in. I have severe pain in my hips and complete right leg,probably about a 5 pain rating in my lower back and weakness throughout my bottom half of my body. Im sleeping in a chair at night what i can sleep. I have to take a hand full of meds and wait about a hour and a half before i can get up in the mornings just to go pee.Then i can get around halfway for about half the day then the pain starts coming back more severe again. Im almost down to having to have a wheelchair on some days. I went with my wife to walmart a few days ago i wasnt hurting real bad then the next day i could hardly even walk. I need some ones just opinion of what kind of Dr s may be able to help me. Or maybe someone that had similiar problems to tell me what kind of Dr gave them help. Im only 38 and we have 4 daughters in school and i recieve a 780 dollar a month dissability check. I can not keep living like this our elec has been terminated were always running out of food and never have any money for our kids. Im at my end with no one giving me no real help any suggestions. And what really kills me is how the neighbors and family members put me down for not working and taking care of my family and recieving dissability benefiets and some state assistance. So any advice or opinions is very welcomed ????


  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 04/03/2014 - 4:33 PM
    Hello, I really feel for you . I know the pain you're feeling and how much it affects every part of your life.
    Here are my suggestions:

    1. Call the United Way at 211 to ask for help for your family. Your children don't have to go hungry or malnourished because of your injury. They can connect you with a local food shelf or a family services provider near you to help you get through this rough spot in your life. There are united way agencies that can help with paying for or assisting with utility bills during emergencies.

    2. If you haven't already , get an MRI done and consult a neurosurgeon to see if you are a candidate for surgery or not. Do your homework and choose a surgeon who isn't known for being a "cutter." That means asking for referrals from multiple doctors, "who would you send your spouse to?"

    3. Try to get on some sort of rehab plan . That may be in a therapy pool or just deep tissue massage for now, but you need to improve your range of motion and core muscles or things are only going to get worse.

    Consult a doctor - ask for help. In taking care of yourself, you will be taking care of your family
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Make sure you are honest about the amount of pain you are in. Don't play it down. Emphasize how it affecting your life. Consider printing out your post here and taking it in. I know I have trouble doing these things. I tend to play it down because I don't want to seem like a wimp. Take your wife to your appointments so she can voice her concerns and describe how your problems are affecting the family life. Sometimes those around us notice things we don't. Perhaps also ask if getting the opinion of a spine surgeon would be helpful.
  • My wife tries to help me be more mobile stretching my legs and rubbing them and my lower back deep in to the tissues as far as going somwere to do this a few times a week its just not possible right now because of our financial sitution. I have had a MRI and it has many problems. But all I have been referred to is a physisist that works in the same building in the same office,no neorologist or nerosurgeon. I have changed family dr's about 3 times over several years trying to find one that would help more. I live in southern WV and theres not many Dr choices available. Its very hard here theres a prescription pain killer epidemic here and as soon as you tell your Dr your hurting they just start kinda blowing ya off assuming your just wanting pain killers. Its very hard here to have many choices. And if you tell your dr your really hurting bad they really start thinking your a drug addict and it is very common here but with everything i have wrong with my back I dont understand how they cant see im in pain and need fixed. I think im going to end up seeing a phsciatrist just to deal with my anxiety and stress from this. Like i say i get just enough money to pay several small bills,and i do get state assistance about 300 a month for food and im sure anyone knows thats not much when u have kids. People here love to talk about people like me so much also even though in the last couple yrs ive went from talking reg to neighbors to not coming off my couch they think im such a lazy dont care about my family type person.
  • They are great for helping people in need. Also, look into a free or reduced lunch program at your kids' school. Some have breakfast programs too. There's also welfare too, which I know is hard to think about, but you have to put your kids' needs first. They can't live in a house without electricity.

    I know this is easier said than done, but try not to let what neighbors or family are saying about you not working, they have not walked in your painful shoes.

    If you have older kids, one way to make money is to do a little babysitting after school. I'm talking about kids that can Basiclly take care of themselves & don't need eyes on them every second like 10 -12 yrs old or something. If you know some of your kids friends who are well behaved, & both parents work & are paying for after school care, make them an offer that's less than what they are paying, & they just might take you up on it. As long as the kids are older & you know them to be pretty well behaved, you wouldn't have to do much other than provide a snack & a little homework help, which you can provide while lying on the sofa.

    Good luck, I hope things improve soon
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Glossary
    Chronic Pain Treatment

    It might be best to arrange a consult with a board certified ortho or neurosurgeon to go over your MRI with you and explain what he sees on the images. Then he can make a referral to a pain management doctor or a physiatrist to arrange some other treatment options for you.
    Also , check your county website to see what assistance they offer for families, aside from the food stamp programs, there are food banks in every county for those who can't make their food budget stretch far enough.....
Sign In or Register to comment.