Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

considering Acdf surgery for cervical pinched nerve

Greetings! I'm new to spine health. I have been suffering with cervical disc disease and pinched nerve of cervical spine for some time. The pain is getting worse ss I age. Strongly considering ACDF surgery. Has anyone experienced this?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 04/04/2014 - 6:55 AM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I just had acdf of c6 - c7 on March 19th. I started having symptoms of a pinched nerve in August of last year and it got bad enough that I wasn't able to even lift a cup of coffee with my left arm because I just didn't have good enough control over it and the pain was so bad. I returned to work yesterday on April 3 but I have a pretty easy job. I am a 36 year old male and I was terrified of this changing my life forever. The last few days I have been trying to wean myself off of my pain meds some and today at one point I felt good enough that I could say I had almost no pain at all. I don't see that I lost any range of motion at all, I am still pretty sore from the surgery and I found out that it wasn't as easy as what everybody says it is. As soon as I woke up from surgery I could tell it was going to be a success because ALL of my nerve pain was COMPLETELY gone. I could feel my fingers, I didn't have the pain in my arm and the back or my neck anymore. I still have shocks once in a while but usually when I over do it or after a big day but they go away. I think it is my nerve trying to heal.
    Good luck with your decision and keep us informed.
  • I am scheduled for a ACDF April 28th I have been suffering bad since Feb 1st however I had my last bad episode in 2004 at that time no surgery was needed I guess 10 years later now it is warranted!!! so I am hoping as my Neuro said 80 to 100 % chance of full recovery and success and I believe him plus I have met other patients that he has done their surgeries on and they all say he is THE best!! so I am very pleased to hear that and I like him he is nice and cute LOL its always nicer when your doctor is cute as it helps me out I can sit and stare at him all day LOL and he could be talking to me about my MRI or surgery and Im like ,, " huh"" ?? what did you say ??? ohhh yah "" about my neck "" LMAO I know I know Im bad but as long as he is good under the knife then thats all that matters right?? good luck and welcome keep us posted on what you do with your decision about surgery
    Stacy :)
    ACDF One level C- 4 April 2014
    Cervical Spondylosis \ Myelopathy
    Chronic pain sufferer since 2005
  • blondelibertybblondeliberty Posts: 5
    edited 04/07/2014 - 11:36 AM
    I had 2 level C-5,6,7 October 1, 2013. It is a lot of pain but I would do it over in a heartbeat. Actually I may get too, I started having numbness and lack of strength about 2 mons ago down my ring finger and pinky on left hand, but I just lived with it because I know that there a lot of things healing in there, swelling, new pivot points etc.

Finally went to the neurosurgeon and am scheduled for an MRI on Wednesday and see him on Thursday. He believes that it may be C8 which did have some damage but not enough to repair at the time. Because of the way that the bones are moving now it may have jacked things up in their. If I had known this kind of pain relief in those areas I would have done this a long time a go. Now that is just me. You will read on here so many different stories about good and bad things, more bad it seems. But remember everyone is different and no ones pain or injury is the same, so don't get freaked out with all of the stories. Just do the research and an make a list of questions for your doctor. Talk to other people around you it is most likely that they have had the surgery or know someone who has. These procedures are very common 95% of the population has a herniation of one kind or another and they don't even know it. Make him answer every one of your questions until you understand or a confident that this is the right thing for you. I hope your are seeing a neurosurgeon not an orthopedic surgeon because you are dealing with the nervous system My experience I had the best doctor in the state
    that is a neurosurgeon.
  • With everything that has been said. I had a two level ACDF back in Jan 2011. It was successful to a point but it was not my surgeon's fault. It already had permanent nerve damage at the root of C7 before I had the surgery. My boss had an ACDF many years before me but it was a single level with the same doctor but she has no pain. My neurosurgeon was also the best in the state so Blonde Liberty we either live in different states or we havethe same doctor, lol there are several posts about what to expect and how to prepare at home for your rehab. Look around and check us out. welcome and goodluck
  • Hello all ! I've decided to have surgery. May 15th is my date. I'm nervous yet determined and I've prayed much. I have a question; Has anyone had ACDF with bone graft? I've viewed and read about surgery like mine however, no mention of hip bone area graft. Because I'm a smoker I have to undergo this procedure during my surgery. I'm trying to learn all that I can. Of course I have an ongoing list of questions for my surgeon.