Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spondylolisthesis causing pain that I can't understand

Hi, I have been reading and searching for something I can do to relieve pain I have ONLY when I lay flat on my back or stomach to sleep.

I have grade 2 spondylolisthesis. I am still one of the more fortunate ones that have zero pain most of the time. My job requires me to stand for up to 14 hours at a time and I have zero pain. I thank God for that every day.

Recently, well, over the past year and a half, my quality of sleep has declined severely. The only time I have pain is if I lay flat on my back or stomach for more than a few minutes. And the pain happens when I sit up. It is almost like my back has to restack itself before I can get up. And it is a severe pain. Once I have sat up for a few minutes, I can get up and go about my day like normal with usually no pain.

Please do not hear me complaining because I know many people with condition would kill to only have pain when they get up in the morning. But I can't figure out how to avoid this pain. The reason it affects my life is think about how many things you do that you have to lay flat... Dental visits, well women visits, orthodontist (yes, I have braces right now), getting an MRI, playing with your kids or pets.... I am looking at doing every one of those within the next two weeks and I am petrified of how I will be able to sit up and get off the table.

I will say that if I lay on my side to sleep with knees bent and pillow between my legs, my hips will begin to hurt after about 2 hours... But I really think that is more because of my mattress being old. I am waiting for my tax return to be able to buy a new one.

I have tried a pillow under my knees, under my abdomen/hips, sleeping without a pillow under my head, etc. Now I am having to sleep in a recliner so I will be at an angle. Most mornings I can get right out of the recliner without having the pain.

I don't understand why I only have the pain when I lay flat. And it is a pain that takes my breath away. I don't know if it is muscle spasms along with facet joint pain or what. In my MRI, it surprisingly showed no disc bulging or herniation. One disc is slightly thinner than normal, but nothing like you would expect to see at my age with this condition.

Any suggestions or ideas of why I have this pain and what I can do so I can start sleeping back in a bed again without having the severe pain when I get up?