Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exalgo MG verses Oxycotin 30mg

One of my goals with my PC is to cut my meds, I had got to the point couple
of years ago taking too many meds with no relief.
I have cut down to where I am at 3 Oxytocin 30mg 1 every 8 hrs.
It does not control the pain but I have to deal with it to get to where I want to
be. He said it could be a hard journey but it all is.
The thing is he wants to go to Exalgo 12 mg 2 times a day instead.
Does anyone here have experience with this drug and and please forgive me if I have
asked this before I have memory issues. I am in the process of going back through Doctor
records to get a list put together of all the meds I have taken and all of the reactions
I have had. The list I had got destroyed in a fire. At my old age that is a job to do.
Thanks for your help.

• Exalgo is another long acting medication and reports on it's effectiveness have been good as far as pain relief goes. When I was on Oxycontin, I found that the dosages needed adjustment far too often for my taste, and that the length of pain relief was not nearly lasting as long as it was supposed to, so I wanted off it.
    I found that Opana worked wonders, and was far more consistant in it's duration of pain relief.....Exalgo has been one of those long acting meds that seems to have a good pain relief duration and doesn't seem to need increases as often as some of the other long acting meds out there......
    It is worth a try, and when you do make the switch, be sure to give it a week or so for your body to acclimate to the new dose and medication .
  • Thanks that is good to hear, I have been on Oxycotin for along time and have
    been feeling a lot of pain because of the tolerance my body built up. I do wish
    the younger ones or whatever age would take the advice to do whatever they
    could to avoid meds using the other tools. I am one of those that now suffer
    because back when not enough was done on my part and the doctor's gave
    meds. out too easy. Like I told my son back them it was too easy to take a med.
    rather than what was needed more tools. I pay dearly doing this cut back but
    facing surgery and everything else I want and have to do it. I do get up-set I think
    the taper where I am going through what I am is too much, but lately I am more
    determined to get there.
    Thanks Sherri
  • To try & cut down on your meds, that's not an easy thing to do.

As far as your med records, pharmacies (at least the chain ones) let you go online & print prescription records that go back at least 1 year. I think you can get archives farther back if you request it. It might help in your work in trying to look at past prescptions, dr writing is so hard to read!
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 04/06/2014 - 7:59 AM
    When I wanted off the Oxycontin, I I was up to 120 mg of the Oxycontin, and allowed another 60 mg for breakthrough.....in the begining, post op, I was only taking 10 mg twice per day so for me, being at that dose at the end of a year was frightening.....I didn't like having to take that much medication but each time we adjusted the dosage, it would be great for a couple of months, then suddenly it wasn't anymore.....I feared where it was heading, all I could see was ever increasing doses every couple of months, so one month, I decided that I wanted off it and tapered myself off it......my pm doctor was surprised and actually very happy that I did it on my own, but I really wanted to gauge where my pain really was......
    I did find that it was easier to do the big reductions in dosage in the beginning, because there was still the two other doses per day and the breakthrough if I needed it....so I cut out the third dose first.....
    Anyway, I do understand and it is one of the reasons that I preach about the use of medications and the using the lowest possible dose and staying there for as long as possible, using other modalities and if surgery is there to fix the problem, then that is the way to go , rather than using the meds as a bandaid to try to hold off.......doing that for too long often results in much bigger problems than what anyone can anticipate.
    Hang in there Sherri, you will get there, one step at a time.......I'm here if you need me or need help.
  • I was told by my PM that Exalgo takes a long time (a couple of weeks) to really get into your system & start working effectively. I was on it for 4 months before switching. It never worked for me. I did a lot of research at the time & it seems to be one of those love/hate meds. I had a sinus infection during the time I was taking Exalgo & the antibiotics I was prescribed gave me terrible diarrhea. I felt as if my body was suddenly flooded with Exalgo & I was wading through treacle for hours, then it stopped working again. It's one of the ER meds with a new tamper proof coating & my body has trouble with these. Shortly after I stopped taking it I received a letter from my insurance company stating that they would no longer be covering it.

As I said I did a lot of research & found many people who had similar experiences but many declared it to be a 'life saver' & the best pain medication they had ever tried. If its covered by your insurance it's worth a try..you could be one of the lucky ones..just give it time to start working! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I sent you a PM hope you don't mind just private.
    Once again thanks so so much for your advice believe me when you
    are doing this and in this frame of mind it helps as everyone knows
    to have the support and someone to talk to.
    Take care