Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/s1 fusion w/laminectomy 5 months post op ouch

I had my surgery November 18, 2013. Was doing really well about a month ago but am now plagued with bad muscle pain in my lower back and right buttocks. Had my PT massage it out a few days ago and am trying to keep it stretched out but am really worried where this is headed. Any wisdom out there? Tylenol doesn't help. Only lying down on a heating pad. Then I get up and it starts again.
advertisement

Comments

• sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 04/07/2014 - 11:59 AM
    Spine surgery recovery is a journey, and there will be flare ups and days when you seem to take a step back.....sometimes, overdoing things too soon can cause muscle pain to flare........does ice or heat help ease the pain a bit?
  • Hi sandi. Thanks for the response. Heat and laying still helps but the minute I get up the pain returns. I'm so disappointed with this setback. I spoke with my surgeons office today for some advice and they will get back to me tomorrow but in the meantime said to try flexeril. I hope I don't need to go down a road that involves strong prescription drugs again. But will do what I have to...
  • of the trauma and the only real cure is to continue to stretch it and walk.....I know that it really isn't the answer you or anyone wants to hear, but there does come a point in our recovery from surgery, that we need to push a bit to get past a point where our bodies are rebelling.
    The muscle relaxers might help, at least for the interim, and heating up a sock or towel with the ends sewn together , put into the microwave for 1-2 minutes might help as well when you feel it start to tense up again.......just be careful, because the instant rice does hold heat well but it also conforms to painful areas really well as well.
  • " there does come a point in our recovery from surgery, that we need to push a bit to get past a point where our bodies are rebelling."

Now, this sentence in sandi's post is so very true, hence the saying "no pain no gain"

Ice, Ice, Ice and more Ice. I have been "on ice" since about 10 this morning. Heat has always had a tendency to make me worse off, as I feel, it keeps the area I'm trying to treat inflamed. But that's just me, everyone responds differently to a treatment. Speaking of heat, the rice sock, this works great, if you prefer heat. I have used it many many times. I have also burned myself pretty bad with it before too, it holds heat like no other, so you're gonna wanna be careful there. When I have to use heat I like the rice sock much better, like she said, its conforms to any area, heating pads just don't do that. And another perk is I love the way the rice smells after its been heated.

Another thing I like to do for muscle and joint pain is to take a long hot soaks. I like to use 2 cups of Dr. Teals Epsom salt (lavender for muscle pain and relaxation, sold at Wal-Mart about 5$) mixed with one cup of baking soda. This helps me to loosen things up for a bit. There are other Dr, Teals products sold there for different needs, the spearmint bubble bath is good too--u should give them a try-I swear by them and recommend them every chance I get, because I really do feel they are THAT good. Anyway, I hope you are doing some better today. Has your surgeons office called you back yet?
  • Due for surgery on rhe 15th this month, great information for after care.
advertisement