Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back pain for 3 years. help me. :(

About 3 years ago, i was running and my lower back popped. I immediately fell to the ground. It was like my legs just collapsed under me. After that, if i moved a certain way, my whole body would have a severe sharp pain. It was like that for a few days then got better. But ever since then, i have really bad back pain. Not just in my lower back anymore, but all the way up my spine into my shoulders. It hurts to stand, to sit, to walk, and to lay down. Its getting to the point i dont even do anything anymore because the pain is so unbearable i start crying. Ive been to the doctor, but they just gave me naproxen (which didnt even do anything) and told me to shut up pretty much. No one is listening to me, and im tired of hurting all the time. It hurts the second i wake up and lasts all day. Everyday. The only relief i get is when i pop it, but the pain comes back immediatly after i pop it and 2xs as bad. Ive tried acetaminophen, heat, stretching, and massages. And none of it helps. If anyone has any ideas of what it could be, or any advice on how to ease the pain just a little bit, it would be great.
Thank you.

• Mine is taped into the correct mechanical position at the moment by my sports physio. It's the only thing that has worked. If it's not taped my muscles spasm it straight out again.
  • What would i use to do that ? I have a doctor apoointment again next week. Would it be best to get an mri or an xray done to see if theres any spinal problems ? For some reason i feel like ive twisted my spine when i had the accident.
  • If your doctor isn't listening to you and isn't helping, find a better one. Ask family and friends if they have a good PCP they can recommend. Sometimes we have to advocate for ourselves. Maybe that doctor is okay with you suffering, but you are not okay with it. You need to find someone who is going to help you.
  • Well im not seeing the same doctor i did last time. I refuse to. So hopefully this one will listen. If this one doesnt, im probably just gonna take a ride to the er. Lol. I have to have something done about this.
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 04/07/2014 - 4:37 PM
    Your pain sounds a lot like mine. My initial injury was not dramatic; I simply moved wrong and I herniated two discs. I was unable to hardly move at all for a week. Then I slowly got better. But my back was never the same again.

Over the course of several years, the pain grew, and radiated into my hips, up my spine and into my shoulders. I had an MRI and it showed L4-5 and L5-S1 had herniations and had each lost a large amount of disc height. DDD, arthritis and bone spurs eventually developed at those sites.

Of all the treatments I tried, I found the most relief with hydrotherapy and disc injections. I'd seriously look into both of those, as well as an MRI to see what the damage may be. I found that the more exercises I did with my PT in the pool, the better I felt. If I skipped a session, I'd be plagued by the radiating pain and stiffness.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • You do need a diagnosis. I had a serious motorbike accident and damaged my vertebrae. If lying down doesn't help, it could be anything including referred pain. If you have vertebrae damage lying down usually eases the pain, for me anyway.

When you see the Dr make sure you take someone with you to verify your pain and tell them how it is effecting your life. You need to start a pain diary - one side activity - the other side pain level then you will know what makes the pain worse.

I hope you get a correct diagnosis. If you can, tell us if they made a diagnosis and how you are going.
  • doctor? If you are, then that is the wrong place for a diagnosis of what you think is a spine problem. If you suspect a spine problem, your best bet would be to see the proper doctor, a board certified ortho or neurosurgeon for a consult. He may or may not order imaging tests, based on his examination of you, but there are other things that he may want you to do before the insurance company will authorize an MRI....
    Read the Step by Step guide that I posted above to you......it outlines the steps taken to get the proper treatment.
  • angmaangm Posts: 1
    edited 04/12/2014 - 3:44 AM
    Can anyone explain to me what the results mean. I fell on my back 5 weeks ago, have been admitted for pain management and been doing physio but nothing seems to be helping. I'm 34 yrs old. MRI was done yesterday.

Vertebral body height and alignment is maintained.
    There is loss of disc height at L5/S1 with associated disc desiccation.
    There is an associated central disc extrusion with hyperintense signal in the annulus suggestive of an annular tear.
    There is also at this level an element of ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. Remainder of the disc levels are preserved. No suspicious signal in the vertebral bodies. The conus medullaris is in the correct position. There is a normal appearing cauda equina. The neural foraminae are patent.
    No other disc protrusions or extrusions.
    There is loss of disc height with disc desiccation.
    There is also a central disc extrusion with hyperintense signal in the posterior annulus. There is attenuation of the anterior thecal sac.
    Neural foraminae are patent and the L5 exiting nerve roots are preserved. There is no central stenosis.
    There is ligamentum flavum hypertrophy at this level.
    Remainder of the levels do not demonstrate any disc protrusions or extrusions. Thecal sac is normal. Neural foraminae are patent. There is no central foraminal stenosis. There is height signal on the STIR sequences present in the S3, S4, S5 segments posteriorly.
    The uterus is anteverted and there are multiple fibroids present.
    Degenerative changes at the L5/S1 level with loss of disc height, disc desiccation and a central disc extrusion.
    There is hyperintense signal in the posterior annulus at this level suggestive of an annular tear.
    There is ligamentum flavum hypertrophy at this level and there is attenuation of the anterior thecal sac but there is no central or foraminal stenosis.
    There is high signal present in the S2, S3, S4, S5 sacral segments in keeping with bone marrow oedema which may be due to the previous trauma. There is a sclerotic density in the right ileum. The uterus is anteverted
    There is nobody on the forum qualified to interpret an MRI