Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post operation lifestyle expectations after L1 pedicle screw fixation

Hi, this is Nitin. Last month I had a 14-15 feet drop straight on a rock against my buttocks. I was diagnosed with wedge compression and burst fracture of L1 ,cord signal alteration and cord swelling at the level of D11 to D12. Ligament tear of anterior & posterior longitudinal ligament and ligamentum flavum at L1 was also present. I was operated with pedicle screw fixation (titanium screws bolted at T12 and L2 vertebra). First, of all, how bad is it? Its been almost a month and I am recovering well. I can stand and walk with ease, but my question is that while I am up and walking, my range of motion is highly compromised by that internal clot(as far as i can guess) at my incision place. How much longer would it take to get rid of this feeling coz I am always walking like a zombie with my chest wide open outwards.Also I have sustained some internal tissue injuries in my buttock region which makes things worse as due to it I cant sit no more than a couple of minutes,so I have to keep lying down or walk when I feel the need/urge to. Lastly, I have been a vegetarian my whole life and still am but considering what I have gone through would it be wise enough to stick to it or do otherwise. I definitely would prefer my health prospects and long term fitness over some choice of nutrition all the more as I am (or was) physically quite active.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nitin Yamdagni
advertisement

Comments

• You are very fortunate that you are still walking........and doing quite well from the sounds of it.......it can take a bit of time for the blood clot to dissolve, unfortunately so it may be a bit, and once the bruising heals some , that should help with the sitting once your body recovers a bit.
    Especially from a fall of that height, the bruising is most likely pretty deep into the muscles so you may be sore for quite a while yet. Have you looked into some different types of cushions maybe a gel based one or sheepskin might help to ease some of the pain of sitting.....
    And as far as your diet goes, a little protein might help but it sounds like you are fit and healthy so maybe some supplements might help.
    I am amazed at your recovery, but take it easy and go slowly, so that you stay doing great......