Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm new - L1 wedge fracture, coccyx & sacrum fractures 14 weeks ago

Hi all, I found this site while trying to find out any more info I could on my condition. On December 18 of 2013, I fell on ice and knew i really hurt myself. After making the mistake of going to an urgent care center who said my x-rays were fine and who wanted to put me on cymbalta for pain and send me on my way, I went to the emergency room.

MRI and X-rays show "a mild wedge compression fracture at L1" I put that in quotes because there is nothing mild about the pain I'm in... It also states I have a "tiny fracture of coccyx" and a "small fracture at s2".

My neurosurgeon doesn't at all seem concerned about the sacrum and coccyx although my pain there is very intense! He prescribed a jewett brace and sent me to pain management. I've been on 3 vicodin a day, a tens unit, lidocaine patches, ice packs, motrin... to try and get through the days.

I am also in physical therapy 2 times per week to try and strengthen my core. Last week I started working 20 hours a week and this weekend I hurt so much I stayed in bed. Today my pain level is at an 8. It's been lingering between 5 and 8.

I go this wednesday back to pain management where they want to titrate me off vicodin and I want to ask them for something stronger!! LOL I go on Thursday for my third round of x-rays to see how things are healing and then see the neurosurgeon again.

I am having issues with bladder leakage that I never had before, and also (pardon me) passing gas too (so embarrassing). This has been happening since my fall but not until reading more about spinal injuries did I think it may be related. I have not mentioned that to the docs yet, as it is very private and embarrassing!

I guess I'm looking for others in my position too. I hear all the time from people, "You're still in pain???" "You should be better already--it's been more than 3 months..."

I'm frustrated and in pain! I'm 41 YO female who before I fell, worked out 3-4 times a week! I'd appreciate any feedback. It's nice to know I'm not alone!
Aimee T.

• is little that can be done for a fractured coccyx. I did it to mine falling off my basement steps onto a concrete floor ,fractured and displaced my tailbone. Time is about the only thing that helps.
    It may be sore for awhile yet.
    The bladder and passing gas you need to let the Neuro and pain management know about.