Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What job after spinal fusion ?

RambiRRambi Posts: 29
edited 04/07/2014 - 5:15 PM in Matters of the Heart
What kind of job are you able to do after spinal surgery or similar surgery , one year post op ? Do you work part time or full time ? Do you have to take pain meds to get through the day ? Are you able to do anything once you get home or is it too much ? I m just wondering how others have made it after going through this . I recently lost my job . I feel lost and don't know how to plan for the future or what to do . Everything I love and enjoy is extremely labor intensive . ( I love being outside - construction work etc - really don t want to be in an office type job ) If anyone else has lost their job, has it been harder to get a new job when the potential employer finds out about your back issues ?

• EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 916
    edited 04/12/2014 - 4:28 AM
    I still work a full time job. I take medications 24/7. I was very active before surgery and have tried to do so afterwards although here recently, cutting the grass (riding mower) and playing a few holes of golf really aggravates my back. Each person is different regarding how they bounce back from surgery.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • as i have mentioned on this site numerous times i work, teach high school and have been doing so for 26 years and 13 of that with chronic pain. yes it is a pain sometimes but i make do, work and then go home to be with the family. it is no big deal for me. i have a list of accommodations given to my district by my doctor. they have to go by it and there are legal issues if they don't. i have been hassled by administrators and teachers, but so what. i still work and will retire in june after 26 years.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • It is a computer job. Still recovering from 3 level cervical fusion, but have been back at work since 6 weeks after. A computer based job is probably the worst for cervical, but it's where my experience and skills liead me.
    There are days I come home a veg the rest of the day and others that I have enough energy to do stuff around the house. I really enjoy working in the yard and have had to hire someone to help me on my projects this year. It does bother me that I'm directing the laying of bricks for the patio rather than doing it myself, but sometimes you have to give up control.
    Good luck to you.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • if there are problems with work, one can get retrained for a new job especially people on disability or WC. talk to your counselor. sometimes they will help pay for schooling etc.if there is a will there is a way. i find work therapeutic. sitting around watching judge judy or my stomach churns, i would rather be out working. one can work with chronic pain. i have been doing it for 13 years. it gets me up out of bed, get ready into the car and off to work.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.