Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe buttock pain

back2mebback2me Posts: 3
edited 04/09/2014 - 10:44 AM in Lower Back Pain
Last August I experienced severe pain in the upper right buttock area (an inch or two to the right of S1 area). After weeks without relief, I saw an orthopedic doctor and had an injection at the SI joint (which only helped for a week or so). I've had this pain going on 8 months now and have recently had such discomfort when driving, prolonged sitting and turning in bed. I've had an L5-S1 PLIF back in 2008 and had another MRI done in December 2013 due to an emergency room visit when I couldn't bend my left knee due to nerve pain.

The MRI showed a bulging disc at L4 and right severe foraminal stenosis at L5 with nerve root compression and moderate to severe on the left. After consulting with the orthopedic doctor, he suggested that I join a yoga class and try and get more exercise in. I turned 50 last year and have since gained 40 lbs. after having arthroscopic surgeries on both knees and was unable to exercise much (turning 50 didn't help either). However, the back pain started before the first of the two surgeries.

Based on the MRI findings, is it possible that the pain in my lower back (upper right buttock area) is a nerve-related issue due to the compression? Stretching that area is just too painful right now. Any ideas from those experiencing similar symptoms? Thanks for reading and offering suggestions.

Debbie
advertisement

Comments