Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are these signs of a failed spinal fusion?

HamedHHamed Posts: 3
edited 04/12/2014 - 4:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
History: lower back pain. Extruded herniation disc at L5 . S1. Had sergery: Discectomy + Posterior Spinal Fusion using two Interbody Lumbar Cages and two Lumbar Cage Blockers, 43 days ago.I was dischrged after 2 nights. I used a soft brace for first 15 days after surgery. My doctor approved it. The major problems I had , have been gone away now, were actually numbness in my soles and a sharp stabbing pain in my side, away from incision on my back, while sitting on the edge of the bed. I were also having a hard time during lateral movements whilst lying on the bed, a wired feeling, as if I am a tree and there is a pressure on a limb of mine! It had not been a great deal though untill following happenings took placed.Taking my doctor advice, I am not using back brace any more, except for probable long walking outside the house in future. I am just wearing it while sitting on toilet bowel.My great concerns stem from the strange expriences I was trough 2 nights ago, I heard a continues low sound inside my back while walking without immediate pain, as though bones were rubbing or something like that. When I was lying on bed half an hour later, I felt a sharp pain in my sacrum area for the first time. Today the sharp stabbing has gone away but I have a insufferanle pain while lateral movements on bed, much much worse than before. I do not feel sciatica in legs and hips, it is lower back oriented, having said that a very peanut numness returns on my hip and sole.Might it be a failed fusion ? I am 30 years old, single. EDITED I do not really relate it to the problem I am having now.My nerosurgeon also had told me that he would do an artificial disc replacement, but after I read the surgery report it all was about PSF and cage . I have my doubts if he really had used artificial disc.I just remembered the time I was brought to the ward in hospital from recovery section and a nursing assistant just pull my shoulders up while I was lying on bed , my mother witnessed. After taking a radiology 2 weeks ago, when my doctor told me eveything is perfect I did not ask about what the assistant had done. Many thanks in advance .

POST EDITED BY Sandi- for Inappropriate forum content........check your private messages and READ the forum rules.5.01 You agree not to submit or post material that is harassing, libelous, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable in any manner or nature to forums on Spine-health.com.

• you need to see your doctor. only he can make that determination. no one on this site is a doctor or qualified to give medical advice. but one thing, wear your brace as long as you can. i wore mine for 9 months for my first fusion and 3 months for the second one. you need to let the back heal, the bone graphs and the screws. they make a past out of the bones and use that to make the screws and other metal harden. if you do stuff too soon, it can break the graphs and loosen the screws and the other metal go to you doctor and have him evaluate you
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • for anyone, including the doctor to determine whether or not your fusion has failed. It can take up to a year or a bit longer in some patients before the fusion process is complete........