Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need some hope

I'm new here; just finally decided to look for help on-line.
I've been in chronic pain for 22years due to an injury. I've tried everything short of surgery, and am only able to walk because I've been getting cortisone shots in my spine for the last 3 years. Problem is since taking the shots I've torn the disks above and below the original L4-5 ruptured disk. I also have spinal stenosis and trouble with some facet joints. I've made an appointment with a surgeon. Scary.
The reason I'm here today is that 3 years ago I began an activity that I can do if I wound up in a wheelchair. I've registered as a business and spent thousands of dollars in supplies and equipment. I went to "work" Monday and somehow injured myself sitting down and now it hurts to sit at all, even with medication. I'm scared this is it and I'll be unable to do anything productive, which for me is like torture.
I need some hope.
Thanks in advance,

• Hi Kelley. I've experienced chronic back pain for a few years after I've had my spine fused due to
    Scoliosis. It's hard to even get through most days, but it sounds like in your case, you have plenty of options ahead of you. I personally know how frightening back surgery can be. I have a scar from my neck to my butt :) lol Anyways, my close friends mother just had to have back surgery for what sounds similar to your injury. She had bone cement injected into her spinal fractures, and after a few short weeks, she's back
    On her feet again. I know she didn't see any hope in her future, she's in her 70s and was struggling with terrible back pain for years. With the technology they have around today, there is hope. The crappy part will be having to take a break from working even if for a few weeks. I know you are hurting now, and there is so much potential for your problem to be helped with minimally invasive surgery. If that's the route you take I can support you the whole way through! Regardless of what happens, I'm hoping your injury heals ASAP and you can get back to working. So sorry you're having this struggle! I would try to think positive and sometimes resting is the most productive thing your body needs to heal. Wishing you the best.
  • Also, I feel like this isn't much help at the moment, but i just want to express what a difference was made in my friends mothers life. It was Christmas time and she couldn't even get out of her chair. She would cry and have to take pain pills to even get through a day. Months before she was a hard working busy bee, so it was especially hard to see her like this. I can say now that she is so happy she went through with the surgery. She can walk and sit without needing medication. And she is taking thinks just a little easier than before so it doesn't happen again. I've seen the change happen with surgery. I'm hopeful for you!
  • Alyssa,
    Thank you. I haven't put much hope in surgery, but maybe I should. Ill look into it more.
    I really appreciate your being here and offering your support! Sounds like you are a strong person and have made it through a lot.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery