Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

limetreellimetree Posts: 26
edited 04/10/2014 - 11:20 AM in Pain Medications
The doc has changed my meds yet again took me off tramadol & im now on 2 lots of morphine tablets twice a day & oral but to be honest I don't think it's working.Yesterday I was stuck in bed eventually got out & down the stairs which took forever & the pain was HELL !!!! I felt like my lower back was going to snap so I took a top up of the oral morphine 3 times & still no pain relief apart from crashing out on the sofa for nearly 2 hrs fast asleep.It also makes me feel very groggy & I can't seem to think straight at times.Im fed up of all this pain & all these pills my life sucks & im so depressed,stressed & sad

• That was a huge jump your dr took with you to take you from tramadol directly to morphine, there were lots of drugs in between that maybe you could have responded to. I'm not sure what you mean by 2 lots of morphine or when you said, "I took a top up of the oral morphine 3 times" also, are you taking IR or ER morphine?? Either way you have to be careful and take as prescribed, that is dangerous. All I can do is tell you my experience with it: I took 15 mg ER (extended release) only 2 times a day--since it was extended release it took a couple days to get in my system before it started to work and before I felt the benefits of it....it does not work like IR (instant release) pain medications. And it did make me sleepy for a couple days and then that wore off once my body became adjusted to it...Please, follow the directions on the bottle and take them exactly as prescribed, NEVER EVER take more than you are supposed to, it can cause you to overdose--remember it does not work like your tramadol or any other IR meds you have tried.

You say you are stressed, depressed and sad, limetree, are you still taking your anti-depressants? Has there been a change in that area? Are you still staying with your mom/mum? If not is there anyone that is able to help you now? Are you still seeing your therapist? Has there been any progress there?
  • Found it surprising that your dr would go to morphine from tramadol.

That said, I am a person who does not react to morphine, yet I respond to Demeral, which as I understand is not as strong as morphine, & nearly impossible to get.

Perhaps you want to talk to your dr about dropping down to something less strong, you may have better results. If you still have problems finding something that world for you, I suggest looking into having a test done to see how you metabolize drugs. That information could be really valuable.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • morphine is as strong as there is unless you move to england and receive heroin. there is nothing stronger here and it is effective for most people for pain control. they give it for burns, gunshot wounds kidney stones and i have had it with my post fusion pain pump where i had it for 4 days. there is nothing stronger that will touch the pain. i have not heard of someone who does not respond to morphine for pain control and i agree with taren i find it hard to believe your doctor would bump you up from a naisd to the strongest narcotic there is. usually doctors will go in incruments with narcotics. i started out with methadone to 2o mg of oxy to 40 mg of oxy to fenatnyl lollipops for break through pain. how strong are your morphine pills? they also have extended release morphine also. the jump to morphine is perplexing to say the least. i have never heard of a doctor jumping up so high on the narcotic scale unless one is in the hospital and they give it to you for extreme pain but to give it to someone to take at home, weird.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Let us know how you are doing when you are feeling up to it. Take care
  • I found that morphine made me very depressed. I asked my doctor to make a change. She switched me to methadone. It seemed to work for me.
  • yes it has a lot of side effects but it is still the best legal pain med out there and used successfully with extreme pain. i have problems with it because it gives me nightmares. never a dream being on the beach with the hooter girls, just monsters, horrible looking people, me tearing up animals with my teeth, haunted houses with horrible looking ghosts, never hawaii, lying in the sun, and the hooters girls rubbing tanning lotion on me. why bad nightmares and no pleasant dreams i do not know.jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I have a medication review this month so I will call my docs & get an appointment to discuss the problems with the morphine etc.I am on Zomorph 10 mg 4 times a day & I have oral morphine as a top up but its only a teaspoon I take but it only seems to take the edge of the pain & I wake up in the night & in the morning in a lot of pain.
  • How long have you been on this particular combination of medications? Do NOT ever take more of any medication than you are prescribed. Is one of these morphine formulas supposed to be a long acting? It doesn't appear to be because you wouldn't be taking it 4 times per day, with another form of morphine .....
    That may be why you are not getting adequate pain relief........
  • that you weren't tried on hydrocodone or oxycodone before anyone jumped into giving you morphine........that is a huge jump up in the pain medication ladder and not one that I have heard of too many doctors doing without properly titrating a patient up to develop a tolerance to opiates before using the big guns to treat with.......
  • or opiates meds that need to raise to a blood plasma level are the ones that are transdermal to reach their peak effectiveness.
    The majority of the extended release medications, once taken will start working within an hour or so after you ingest them..........
  • i wonder how some people who state that morphine does not affect them would react if heroin was legal in the united states? heroin is heads above all with respect to pain control. i read sole survivor about the seal who was rescued by an afghan village and kept from the taliban. the guy who wrote it stated that the afghans gave him opium to smoke and it really really helped his pain. when he got back to the us, they gave him morphine and he stated it was not as strong as the opium. he probably built up a tolerance to the opium, heroin, and the morphine did not feel as strong. the same happened to me when i went from percocet down to vicodin. i did not feel the vicodin due to my body and the tolerance i built up from the percocet. i definitely want to see the movie when it comes out on dvd or on cable. what a story, all of his bodies killed and one who was wounded went up a hill, exposed to guns, to call in support, he got killed and also the medal of honor for this. these seals are unbelievable. if i was younger and with no back issues and in the navy, i would try out to see if i could hack it. i believe i have the temperment for it but i don't know if i could stay up for basically 5 days doing all the running and swimming in the cold water. cold reallly gets to me. major problems with cold. that is why i like to live in CA, sun beach warmth.
  • I've had it IV, & in a pain pump following surgery. The last time I I had a kidney stone, they gave me 24 mg, & it didn't help. I really wish I did respond to morphine, because I'm allergic to dyladud, so that doesn't give me many options.
    Also, as I've stated in many posts, my 10 yr old son was given 8 mg of morphine + 1 mg of Ativan for foot pain, & he was still crying in pain, with no relief.

This is why I am trying to get the test done that shows how I metabolize drugs. Hopefully that will help me to get the right meds when I need them.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand