Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

coming to grips

i found this quote from paul stanley of kiss who was born without an ear and his beliefs with coming to grips with disability and or pain. i found it to be right on.

“What I found over the years was that what you deny and cover up doesn't cease to exist and even if you can hide something from the public, you can't hide it from yourself. Whether it's pain or a sense of inferiority, that will remain and that doesn't change until you come to grips with it, you get to the bottom of it and you resolve it.”

He’s hoping that his story of pain and ultimately finding serenity and happiness with his second wife will inspire readers and fans.

“Perhaps that was one of the paramount reasons for me to finally write the book,” he muses. “The idea that I can perhaps make someone else's life a little easier or put a little bit more light on things by telling people my journey. It's not a KISS book, it's a book about a person coming of age and coming to grips with their own inadequacies.”

I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• I've always loved words!

Jon, does this remind you of something you've said?

"It is a waste of time to be angry about my disability. One has to get on with life and I haven't done badly. People won't have time for you if you are always angry or complaining." - Stephen Hawking

I like these..

"But pain... seems to me an insufficient reason not to embrace life. Being dead is quite painless. Pain, like time, is going to come on regardless. Question is, what glorious moments can you win from life in addition to the pain?" - Lois McMaster Bujold

"I have learned that the biggest disability any of may ever face is our own attitudes." - Jeffery F Walton

We have so much to learn from the struggles of others. This is one of my favorite quotes. It brings a warmth to my heart every time I read it..

“Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

I try to live by those words. I have my struggles like everyone here. When I have a particularly bad day I think to myself 'tomorrow I will do better'. I know I will not be better physically but that will not stop me from trying to do better & that makes all the difference. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Words to live by, thanks for sharing :)
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Do you write poetry or journal?
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Reader not writer. I art journal. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.