Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

34 year post SCI quadriplegic needing input on Cervical Stenosis surgery...

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post.. Thanks to Ron’s comments I am adding this up front:
Other new ones who are reading my post who may have personal questions come up of their own -- please start your own thread to ask your questions---rather than inserting them some way in this thread & perhaps inadvertently shifting the direction of my original intent to begin this thread for specific help. Thanks so much!

I am 57 and have been living as C5/6 SCI quadriplegic for 34 years due to Spinal cord injury. Facing C4/5 corpectomy/ACDF surgery mainly because of nerve root stenosis. Needing some incite please….
I am here like so many, struggling to embrace a surgery (no date yet) that has unknowable good & bad possible consequences & going through the recovery process seems uncertain to ....

I broke my neck in a off-road motorcycle accident in 1980 which left me a C5/6 quadriplegic & it was determined then, surgery wouldn’t help me. So no fusions, rods, or Halo. just hard collar.
I am very reliant on caregivers, use electric wheelchair, & amazingly have been driving a specially adapted van for 25 years. Slowly started to lose strength in right arm – mainly deltoid where I can not fully steer my van safely & acquired more spasms that work against what function I do have. MRI & EMG suggest bone spur is putting pressure on my right C/5 nerve root. My NS said he recommended a anterior corpectomy or ACDf to get the access needed to open up around both right & left C4/5 nerve roots. He said there may be a chance I could gain enough strength over a year or two of rehab to drive again but he couldn’t say for sure & he then added there was a chance he could make me worse since he would be working around the nerves but that I would get worse anyway if I didn’t do anything.

As an aging quadriplegic I have additional risk factors like limited lung capacity (meaning may have to be on breathing tube longer than surgery). I am highly dependent on care in hospital for bowel & bladder help which is another worry. Use CPAP Machine.

I realize that only I can make this decision. However, is there anyone out there that has been close enough to my situation in ways they can share something from their experience that might be of some help? I suffer from worrying or thinking too much about things so I of course see all the things that may go wrong. I am not comfortable with my present alternative either, as time is not on my side with tingling & more numbness & weakening in my hand and forearm & shoulder.
Thank you for any relative experience, especially with the recovery process.