Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Use of crutches.....

FeebsFFeebs Posts: 2
edited 04/13/2014 - 11:55 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I'd appreciate some advice please. I have cervical stenosis and myelopathy and a couple of years ago I had to have surgery - anterior decompression and fusion of C5/6. This was successful in removing symptoms at the time but I was told the next disc down is also bad and will need the same treatment in 2 or 3 years. At the moment I have limited symptoms - primarily bad headaches and a painful neck.

I now have to have surgery on my ankle which is going to result in my not being able to put any weight at all on one foot for about 8 weeks. I have been told I will be on crutches for that period of time. I am worried whether this is sensible given my neck problems. I avoid any heaving lifting or pushing as I can feel the pressure they put on my neck. Will using crutches make things worse?

Thanks for your help.

• A knee scooter. It's a seat on wheels with handlebars. You put your bad leg on the seat & walk along beside it. My son has foot issues & crutches exhausted him & exasperated the pain. He missed a ton of school, but once we got the scooter it changed his life.

If you are interested, just google it & you can read all the views. At least where I live, you can rent one from a medical supply store, but if you like it, you can buy one on Amazon for about $200. Your insurance may even cover it.

Good luck!
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Thank you MSG - looks great but the problem is I am in the UK and have no insurance and can't afford to buy one!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    When crutches are adjusted to the proper height, there should be little extra strain on your body. I can not tell you how many times I have be told by physical therapists that patients do not adjust their crutches for their height. Doing that can cause all sorts of strains on other parts of your body.

But that is not saying, even properly adjusted crutches wont cause any strain. Any time your body needs to artificial means of support for extended periods, your body can create discomfort to another part of our body. We are all stereophonic, no humans are monophonic.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.