Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Suggestions for work

Can anyone give me any suggestions of what to do when I'm at work and have an awful backache? What do i do if I already took my allotted dose of ibuprofen- what can i do in between? I work as a laboratory technologist and depending on what section of the lab I'm assigned to, I might not be able to sit down for a long time. Plus it can be a very stressful job.Thanks for any suggestions!

• You mention taking ibuprofen at work, so I take it you don't take narcs at work. Neither did I, ever. I work in government. Besides my back issues, I had one horrific case of bursitus, that left me walking with a cane on many days.

The pain in my back at work was so bad I was practically od'ing on Advil or Tylenol. I couldn't sit, stand or walk more than about 15 minutes without unbearable pain. Many times I was in the ladies room in tears.

My best suggestions are that if you have stretching exercises that help you, try to take a couple of minutes maybe every hour to do them. If ice is helpful, I've seen some bags with straps that can be tied around your waist. If heat helps, maybe one of those pillow type things that are filled with lavender, euculiptus etc, that you hear in the microwave. I can't remember what they are called, hopefully someone else will. Anyway, you'd have to get creative about how to keep it around your waist, but if you can it would allow you to keep standing & get a little relief.

In October, I fell at work, & have been on disability ever since. It's helped my bursitus, but I realize my back issues are not going to heal, so I am trying to medically retire.

I hope you find something to help you get through your work days.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • buffgirl23bbuffgirl23 Posts: 77
    edited 04/14/2014 - 2:26 AM
    Thx, MSG. I have one of those herbal things for my neck, love to pop in micro- feels so good! I'm on dbl. also- got up one morning and literally couldn't walk, I'm just concerned when I go back.
  • You can talk to you doctor about any accomodations, and possibly your human resources as well , maybe a step stool or a stool where you can put one leg on it to ease some of the low back stress, being able to walk around for a few minutes might help, a cushion for the stool if you are allowed one........just changing positions and stretching a bit helps most though, especially in the early days of returning to work.
    Try using the foot up on even a drawer or similar thing helps to take the strain off, not sure why but I know it does.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 04/15/2014 - 10:57 AM
    sandi all i had to do was go to my doctor and tell him about accommodations and he wrote me a list and i promptly gave a copy to HR and my boss. they have to follow the list. she needs to get in touch with her dr for the list and then call HR and let them know you are also giving a list. if there is a union involved they also need a copy
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.