Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

moderate lumbar foraminal stenosis, confused about surgery

Hello all,

I am posting this on behalf of my father who is suffering from L5/S1 bilateral foraminal stenosis with multilevel degenerative disc disease. I need some general guidance.

48 years old, worked as machine operator for 15 years involving some lifting and moving about, has had lower back pain issues before which was managed by some rest periods. From FEB 2014 pain intensified on lower back area, burning feeling and nerve pain. Spreading slightly to the legs+knees. Trouble staying in one position and sleeping. Loss of energy and motion. Pain increased.

Visited local doctor, took some X-rays and referred to spine surgeon. Got a MRI of lumbar back. Visited specialist again and was diagnosed. Instructed to take a nerve root block/epidural injection bilaterally. Pain eased for ~2 weeks. In the meantime did physiotherapy and swimming everyday. Pain still going up and down. Pain increased in some stages due to suspected overexercising.

Went to see same spine surgeon. Advised that conservative treatment be continued. However, spine surgery offered in case we are unable to bear the pain - spine fusion.

Went for a second opinion from a neurosurgeon (spine surgery specialist) and was advised any operation would not help greatly. Advised to continue conservative treatment and change occupation.


So, here we are. He hasn't worked for a while and we are thoroughly confused on what step we should take. We are obviously hesitant to take up surgery at this stage, but simply don't know if the condition will improve or not. We are leaning towards continuing conservative treatment and delaying the operation as much as possible. However, this means that he will have to be out of work for a long period of time.

We have another meeting with the spine surgeon soon to discuss the specifics of the surgery. We are hoping the details help us decide on the next step to take. We have another opinion lined up towards the end of the month. It's frustrating to get appointments as they are often so far apart. But, we understand.

It would be great if anyone that has had to go through this decision could share their experiences. Happy to provide more info if needed.

Thanks all.


Sign In or Register to comment.