Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lumbar fusion

So I had a lumbar fusion of L4 L5 / L5 S1 on March 19, 2014. Ever since the surgery I've been having the hardest time making a bowel movement. I'm on so many laxatives and stool softeners that it really shouldn't be an issue. A couple days ago I was trying to go to the bathroom and unfortunately had to push even though they told me not to. It was coming out but was just to large to come out. (Sorry it's such a gross topic) when I was pushing I felt this pop in my lower back on the left side. Now I have a bruise back there and I'm in alot more pain! I need help to know if I did more damage! Please if someone could get back to me as soon as possible. I'm really scared I did damage! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks again :)

• you need to see your surgeon asap only he can make that determination. maybe meds are making you constipated. that is a side effect of them
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I can't help you on if you did damage, but if you want help with being constipated, I can certainly recommend green smoothies. I was always on the constipated side (even without being on narcotics for surgery pain), and once I started drinking green smoothies in the morning they have helped move things along. I'm not talking about running to the bathroom in the nick of time moving along, just a softer stool that comes out a lot smoother. A green smoothie can consist of any fruits you like to eat along with either spinach, kale, watercress, or any green leafed lettuce type veggie. My favorite is spinach or kale blended with pineapple and blueberries. I put a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed and hemp seed in it too. They can look gross, but they taste great. You can get green smoothie recipes online or even buy books (or rent them from the library). The only lettuce leaf I've had so far that I don't like is Romaine. It just tastes like I'm drinking a salad. All you need is a really good blender or a Nutri Bullet. You can buy frozen fruits if you are afraid the fresh fruit will go bad before you use them all up. I hope you at least try them to see if they help. I also hope you didn't hurt yourself. Keep us posted!
    Julie K
    L4/L5 fusion TLIF for spondylolisthesis on 5/12/14