Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbrosacral Strain

lbowen78llbowen78 Posts: 2
edited 04/14/2014 - 8:53 AM in Lower Back Pain
My name is Leah Bowen and I am an 35 year old, full-time BSW college student. On April 8, 2014 I was seen at xxxx for severe lower back pain and injury. The injury occurred the day before. It was raining outside the Capitol building, and so I hustled across the street. The water was flush with the sidewalk, and I couldn't see where I was stepping. I slipped and immediately heard a "pop" in my lower back. I wasn't able to walk without help. The next morning, I awoke to find my body veering to the right when I stood straight up. I wasn't able to walk; the back of my legs went numb; my lower back, all the way to my shoulders was numb and on "fire." I couldn't sit or lie down. I had extreme difficulty urinating, and any "pushing" caused shooting pain down to my buttocks. The ER treated me with I.V. and oxygen therapy and I had an x-ray. I was asked to rate my pain (from a scale 1 to 10), and I said, "The pain feels like I am giving birth naturally at 10 centimeters." Two hours later, I was discharged with Vicodin, Valium, and Medrol Dosepak. It's April 14th today, and I cannot walk properly. It feels at any moment that my back will give out. I've been doing ice and heat therapy, as well as some very mild stretching. I am so upset that the pain is still unbearable, and quite frankly, I don't know what to do or who to see. Please, can someone help direct me to proper care and treatment.

Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• The issues with the bladder and not being to go is concerning. Did the hospital do any imaging? An MRI? or CT scan, since this was caused by an injury?
    Are you still having issues with your bladder? Are you able to empty or hold your urine on your own? Any numbness in the areas that would normally come into contact with a saddle if you were riding a horse? Inner thighs, genital area , buttocks?
    Not that I want to scare you, but I do want you to be aware that those type of symptoms are a medical emergency, which means that you need to be seen and evaluated as soon as possible for that condition......It is nothing to fool around with.....and no matter how embarrassing it might be to discuss those symptoms, it is the only way for the doctor to know what is really going on....
    In most slip and fall accidents, muscular pain and bruising is commonly the only diagnosis and normally after a few days things will get better on their own.....so unless they were aware that you were having seriously increased pain and bladder issues, they may not have known to look further.....
    As far as who to see this might help you........
    Find a physician, Spine Center

• Thank you for your comment. I looked on the discharge papers, and the only imaging that was done was "Lumbar Spine Routine With Obliques." No MRI or CT scan was done. I really hate to whine about all of this, but the pain is just unbearable. Sitting, standing, or laying down always hurts; I can't pick anything up, because I get shooting pain down my legs; Urinating and bowel movements are excruciating, because I have to "push." I thought, having been a week, that my symptoms would ease up, but unfortunately, this is not the case. Thank you for your time.