Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe, continuous pain

So I have scoliosis and was given a back brace but the brace presses spots that cause extreme pain. I already am in constant severe pain. I was told my type of scoliosis should be painless and I was taken to do an MRI and everything is normal. I'm supposed to get a new back brace to try and reduce the pain while wearing it but I'm thinking it isn't going to make a difference. My curve is at 30 degrees so it's not necessarily severe enough to need surgery. I was curious as to what you all think, if the newer brace doesn't make a difference in the pain it causes will they consider surgery or?
I'm also getting steroid injections which hopefully helps

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • It's a joke when they tell you your scoliosis shouldn't be causing pain. Scoliosis usually involves the thoracic vertebrae where the room between the spinal cord and vertebrae is the narrowest. I have an 80% wedge crushed T5 which was crushed to the side. it was actually the T4 on top slipping out of place and onto my spinal cord and nerves.

If lying down helps your pain you can have a weight bearing MRI. My T4 that was really causing the pain did not get picked up in a prone MRI.

When there is damage to your spine the joints at the top and below have to take extra pressure. I went to a sports physio who found the vertebrae on top of the damaged one was causing all the pain.

If I was you, I would see if I could have a weight bearing MRI. It might be the ones on top of your scoliosis that are causing the pain as they have to take more pressure.

If you can get someone to put the ones on top in the correct mechanical position, then tape them there, it might ease your pain. As your thoracic spinal cord is narrowest it only has to move a bit to touch your nerves and spinal cord. Also if you are on pain medications try and get a muscle relaxant as well as your muscles will have been working overtime to compensate for your curve.

This worked for me and immediately gave me pain relief when my T4 was moved off my spinal cord and my nerve roots. It was after 8 years of constant pain. I was also told my thoracic vertebrae should not be causing pain, as my fracture was stable, but the one on top wasn't stable and kept slipping out. My physio now tapes my shoulder, scapula and T4 vertebrae into the correct mechanical place, otherwise my muscles keep spasming it out again as it has been out for so long.

Sleep with a pillow between your knees as that takes the pressure off your spine. Good luck I hope you find something to ease your pain.