Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica and Numbness of foot

I am going to assume I am posting in the proper forum about this numbness issue. I have numbness in my left foot and still have some pain from my disc herniations. I would like to hear others stories of people having some success or otherwise no success with treatments or surgeries. I still function pretty well but I know I cannot return to a labor intensive job. Some light at the end of the tunnel would be nice to hear from others that have the numbness. I am really concerned that the numbness will get worse and involve more than just my left leg and foot.
I have had one spinal injection and will receive another in a couple weeks and then if no luck the Dr. will talk surgery.

• yes i have had 4 fusions due to sciatica and after 13 or so years my right foot is numb and my two middle toes are paralyzed. i can still work and it is not a big deal. my foot feels like a dead fish and i have to have my wife help me put on my shoes and socks on my right foot. i still have pain in my right section of my rear end and across the middle like when i first noticed my symptoms 13 years ago. good luck and nerve damage is common after fusion surgery.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Me and the doc have not discussed what type surgery would happen yet as I'm still in the earlier stages of this. I I have three herniations which I am sure didn't all happen at the same time. Like I said ,the second injection will happen and we will go from there. As far as work goes , I will have to find another employment path as I feel certain my days of lifting 40,000 pounds over the course of a day are over. At 35 years old it doesn't hurt my feelings to find another career path as I kinda knew I couldn't do that forever but what career? Idk….
  • if you are on disability, they will pay for retraining and or going back to school, college, to find a new career. i started teaching when i was 40 so a new career is not a big deal, if you are not on disability then you can get loans or scholarships to help going back to school to learn a new field. i would take an interest inventory test on a computer which ask questions and will give you ideas of what field you have an interest in and to persue. there are all sorts of jobs out there for disabled. people in wheel chairs without limbs, all can find jobs.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • scionxsscionx Posts: 27
    edited 04/16/2014 - 3:38 AM
    I am being paid currently under Workers Compensation and I have been on it since November. I am unsure if that is what you mean by disability. I already have a Business Logistics degree and sitting in a desk chair all day has no interest to me. I have been a turbine engine mechanic in the military and sold auto parts for 4.5 years after that until I ended up doing warehouse work for the last 9 years. I guess I am somewhat versatile but definitely don't want to be stuck again.
  • then i suggest that you take an interest inventory computerized test that can give you suggestions. they ask questions such as would you rather work outdoors or indoors or do you like working alone or with people, are you artistic etc. i know they have it at the school i work at. you may want to try something like a county occupational center or ccoc and ask them. it sounds like you can be retrained for free. look into it. if it is free for you then you have a great way to learn another career. i have my masters degree in workability so i am familiar with the processes involved. you don't have to sit in a chair. you can still be active with pain or limitations.
  • Thanks for the info Jon. Best I have had yet on here.
  • If the injections work, then the surgeon may want to continue them for a while........the issue , at least for me, is that when there is numbness, there is nerve impingement somewhere. The longer you wait to relieve that impingement, the less likely that the nerve can recover completely......now, that statement is qualified somewhat , by how much impingement is
    involved...and if it is the central canal or a nerve root......
    Are you seeing a surgeon and a pain management doctor? If not, it might be wise to consider seeing each one to see what options they give you , as far as surgery , treatment and discuss the severity of the problem......that will tell you what the choices are down the road.
  • My Neurosurgeon is handling my issue so all my pain management comes through him as well. I honestly believe the plan has been for me to have surgery all along because workers comp sent me straight from being seen by a occupationa health doctor to a neurosurgeon. I only had three visits with a physical therapist in between that ,which they immediately stopped after the MRI was completed and they found I had the three herniations. Why send me to a facility that specializes in Neurosurgery 63 miles away when all the injections, pain management and conservative traetments could have been done within 10 miles of me? My MRI and phys therapy were local....