Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Issue

Hello I am trying to get some info on a cervical/shoulder issue.
In July of last year I got a Kenalog injection at the acromium process for a small scar that was kelioded and kept getting irritated.
In August I strarted to notice atrophy in my arm and had what I thought was an injury during a work out that left me with severe pain in the lower posterior deltiod, and down the tricep. The pain subsided but the atrophy was very noticable so I saw my primary doc in mid Sept. at that time I asked if the shot could be partly responsible. He didn't think so and had an MRI ordered for my cervical spine.
The MRI showed I have what the Neurosurgeon thought was a disc rupture at the c6 disc putting pressure on the c7 nerve bundle. I declined surgery at the time because there was little to no pain associated with the problem and was hoping it would resolve itself.
Now 10 months later I am finding a little improvement in the tricep musculature but noticed a while back that there is atrophy in my latissimus and some of the muscles surrounding that area.
External rotation was sore and a little week initially but seems to be good now. I have had two PT's do stregth tests on my upper extremities and all test have been negative for weekness. I do not have sensory issues, no tingling, pins and needles or numbness. The tricep does get sore when I use it but it is more of a deep ache.
My doctor, neurosurgeon and PT's all said no way it was the shot.
What I can't figure out is if it is not then why is the atrophy going into my lat and back which are not innervated by c7 nerve root, why do I not have neck pain, and why do I not test positive to compression tests and sensory tests at the hand.
Can a nerve root compromise proximal muscles and not affect the arm distally? Seems like I would have grip issues or muscle loss in the forearm with tricep.
Doc's are putting a lot of pressure on me to have surgery now due to chance that nerve damage could be permanent if I wait too long.
I want to know that the surgery is truly necessary and wondering if there are more definitive tests that can be run to make sure the root is compromised.
I would hate to wait and have problems later, but I also don't want to have this be due to a rare side affect the manufacturer warning lists as possible and also recommends not using in the deltiod region due to risk of muscle atrophy.

Thank you for your time and expertise.