Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

referred pain or dvt

jenm10jjenm10 Posts: 4
edited 04/16/2014 - 2:00 PM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Hi! I am new to this site and wanting some information from fellow back pain sufferers. I am having strange sensations in my right leg. This is scary for me and is happening about a year and a half after the birth of my son. It first started as burning sensations on each side of my groin and progressed to pain when bringing my legs together, rolling over, etc. I would get burning sensations under my butt cheeks. My doctor ordered physical therapy which caused the pain to move and almost worsen. My PT is using a SI belt that provided some relief with being able to get up and down and roll over. HOWEVER, I now get spots that ache when pressed on my calf, they feel bruised but come and go...usually a couple inches under the back of my knee (almost always the same area) I get pain on the side of my shinn. The joint/ligament on my outter knee aches at times. My heel hurts off and on. It hurts to put weight on my leg every once in a while. Crossing my legs is unbearable. Any pressure on the back of my thigh causes pain down my leg. Even sitting in a chair causes pressure on my leg... that causes strange sensations. Holding my son on my leg feels like the circulation is being cut off.
-Previous Harrington Rod surgeries to correct scoliosis 90's and 2005
-diagnosed with spondylolisthesis in August 2013 (was not causing pain, routine check up)
-Pain started end of December after a two day train ride
-PT started in January
SI belt Feb/March
Pain moved from groin to right leg in March AND IS STILL THERE
MRI shows spondylolistthesis of L5S1 compressing nerves to the left
MRI shows Osteitis Pubis

PT believes that the SI belt is changing my gait and causing the leg pain or it could be referred nerve pain. I have had a friend mention DVT. I mentioned it to my doctor who did an ultrasound that came back fine (this was early before my pain really set in to my calf). Next option is a steroid injection then surgery.

Are these pains typical of others with my issues? What does nerve pain feel like to others with these problems? After all of this I AM DEFINITELY developing anxiety issues.

• MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 04/16/2014 - 3:21 PM
    But we can share our own experiences. From what I've read on this site, a lot of people have leg pain, & it seems like everybody had different symptoms. Mine is only when I lay down on my side. The non-weight bearing sign gets a horrendous ache that can be my whole leg, or just part of it. Sometimes it feels like bone pain in my shinn. The only thing that makes it better is to lay flat on my back.

It's good that your dr checked for DVT, though from what I know, the symptoms are usually pain & swelling in the leg. I'm not sure if your symptoms fit, but at least you got peace of mind. They are nothing to mess around with; I got 12 in my lungs after surgery, & am lucky to be alive to tell the story.

A lot of times, leg pain comes from something along the lines of a pinched nerve in your back. Pain meds don't work on nerve pain. Most people end up trying Lyrica or neurontin. One or the other works for some, or sometimes neither worked. I tried neurontin did not work for me, & I didn't like the side effects.

Steroid injections can do wonders for some, others get no relief, or it doesn't last long. You won't know how it works for you until you have it done,

Anxiety goes hand-in-hand when you don't know what's wrong. But, all it does is intensify the pain, so whatever you can do to reduce your anxiety will be beneficial. Easier said than done, I know, we all know.

I hope you feel better soon
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand