Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dr. won't operate because of mental depression?

Hi, I am new to all of this and wound up here looking for spine injury related info online. It really saddens my heart to read of so many in pain. I pray for all of you to get better. I got a taste of the sciatic pain some of you have. It came from two cysts formed at the nerve exits pressing on both sciatic nerves but mainly on the right leg causing severe pain in the right hip and down the hamstring into the calf and numb toes (like a real bad hamstring pull all of the time). I was having a ruff time dealing with the pain at home alone confined to the couch in the fetal position 24/7 for a month before I got a cortisone shot that worked to where I could get up for more than 5 mins. without extreme pain. I have high blood pressure too so taking 7 prescribed drugs along with Tylenol, Aleve, (another anti inflammatory), hydrocodone (made me sick)and then oxycodone) all those pills drove my B P and heart rate up to the point that i could have had a stroke or heart attack. I freaked out with anxiety and had to go to the E R. I gave up the hydro and oxycodone after that and the doctor didn't offer any alternative pain relief except Tylenol and just one anti inflammatory. later I got an MRI and got to see a well known good surgeon. He told me that i needed surgery to remove the cysts and that i needed a fusion treatment for a disc that to me looked as if it were pushed forward out of place from the other disc from what i could see on the x-ray. After reading the story’s of fusions that don't seem to be helping here I’m really starting to think that maybe i shouldn't get this fusion thing done and only get the cysts taken out it sounds like it's a really risky throw of the dice or live with pain. And also to my amazement the surgeon said that the medical paper work info they have on me indicates that I seem to have mental depression and he doesn't want to operate on me in that condition. I never said i had depression i told him i can't sleep at night because of possible stress and my hip hurts from sleeping on my left side all the time to alleviate the pain and my doctor gave me Amitryptaline not because i have depression but to help me sleep. And also my doctor wants me to get my heart checked out because I have a heart murmur and get a sleep apnea test since haven't slept much in the two months I’ve had this pain. So the surgeon says when i get though all that call him back. I’ve never heard of such a thing. I'm starting to think he is BS ing me because he doesn’t want operate on me or something up. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing before won't operate because of mental depression? Aren't most people with major medical problems a little depressed or stressed?