Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

An unwanted houseguest

TarenTTaren Posts: 524
edited 04/18/2014 - 2:33 AM in Chronic Pain
If anyone hasn't seen "THE BEAST" lately, there's a reasonable explanation for this. He has been alive and well living here with me for almost 2 weeks now. When he first showed up, I recognized him and knew him well, I just said, "hello and asked him how long he would be staying this time?" I guess he's gonna let me know on that, because he's still here this morning!!

I can't get a minute of privacy for him, he's right with me in everything I try to do. I can't even go to the bathroom without him going with me. I went to Ohio last weekend and he went too, in fact he sat right in the front seat with me, he was constantly poking me in my rear-end, he was squeezing my legs, causing numbness and tingling, he must of also came armed with a hot poker because he was constantly sticking it to the top of my thigh and groin area.

When I try to lay down to go to sleep, he decides it's not time for sleep because he wakes me up and wants me to get up and sit up with him or walk around the house, which I do, because I try to be accommodating, thinking if I'm kind enough and don't show too much stress and aggravation, he will leave.

Mornings, when I get up, evidently he doesn't sleep in because by the time I open my eyes he has already been messing around, by tying these awesome knots in my spine, and the second my feet touch the floor he stabs me in my legs, more so in my right one!! He insist that my right leg, from the knee down, stays at least 10 degrees colder than my left one. He reminds me to go ahead and take my morning meds or he will get really angry and do things to me that I'd rather not experience.

He's such a boring houseguest because while he's here he doesn't allow many fun things, he tries to control my mind by making me think about him too much, anything I try to do he sneaks in my head and reminds me that he's still here!! He doesn't like it when I try to take a walk, he will insist my legs start aching so badly that I have to come home and sit down or lean over my bar for relief. I try to make him leave by using my ice packs, rice socks, heating pads, laying or sitting down, stretching, hot soaks, and walking even though this seems to make him the angriest!! He just wont go!!

Any other ideas on how to get rid of this unwanted houseguest aka, "THE BEAST"???
advertisement

Comments

• my mom said houseguests were like fish, after a couple of days they begin to stink and you need to throw them out. i just ignore it no matter how bad and try to keep busy. easier said then done but it works for me. i just go on and do what i always do, tick off my wife. that is a good distraction for me. seriously folks, just try to keep busy no matter what and keep your life as close to normal as you can. i just had to pay$650 for a ticket yesterday and to go to traffic school i opted for the computer school since i can't sit in one spot for a long time. so paying the money really took my mind off of my pain. it kept me in a foul mood the rest of the day and off of pain. it is like the old saying if your head hurts, hit your hand to take your mind off of the pain in your head.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    edited 04/18/2014 - 2:48 AM
    really doesnt have any manners. That was evident during his recent stay with you. Problem is, he always doesnt like to leave. He has it good, making you really uncomfortable, squirming and in a lot of discomfort and pain.

Thats what he LIKES!

How to get rid of him? You cant just ask him to leave, cause he wont. You sort of have to trick him to leave

• - Hot and Cold treatment to your sorest area (he doesnt like the North or South that much)
      - Music and Aroma Therapy (he doesnt care for most must and cant stand essential oils)
      - More bed rest or down time ( he gets bored, because he wants to cause more discomfort when you are up)
      - Easy Stretching and Slow walking (that will get him, he only likes to run)
      - more
    The more are personal things you can do to get more comfortable. Everyone has their own specific ways.

The good news is that he will leave He gets tired of the same thing, torturing the same person, he likes to move on to someone else. The bad news is that you know he will return some day. Best you can do is do everything that makes you stronger without impacting your condition

Taren, I understand your house guest and what he does. Its never easy, at times it really just depresses you. We all know that we deal with our daily situation. Some days better than others. We adjust, we know, we have to ... And we enjoy life... But then for some reason, some unknown, the Beast comes into your life again. I only wish I knew a way to keep him out permanently. I've been at this for over 30 years now and he still is smarter than me.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/18/2014 - 3:21 AM
    Yep, Jon, he's definitely starting to smell up the place. It's time for him to go, imo, but he seems to have other ideas as far as that goes. I try to keep my mind off the pain, I swear I do, but like I said no matter what I try to do he sneaks back into my mind and reminds me his butt is still here--I try shoo'ing him away, like an aggravating fly but he's a might bigger than a fly. Lol @ ticking off your wife as a distraction from your pain, I don't think I wanna tick my husband off, he tries to help me too much. I think I will leave him along--for now anyway, but if "THE BEAST' stays much longer, I can't be held responsible for what I may do :-/ Sorry, to hear about the $650 traffic ticket and traffic school, but at least your found a distraction, huh? What did you do? Did you get caught speeding, trying to outrun "THE BEAST"?? (That doesn't work either)

Ron, you are so correct, he has no manners at all, so rude. I do everything I can come up with to make him leave but, as you say, he likes hanging around making a person as miserable as he can. He likes doing as much damage as possible before he leaves.

I agree, the stretching and walking is the best, it's obvious he doesn't like that a bit, based on the way he makes me feel after I do it......It appears what makes him the angriest is the best thing you can do to make him leave. He hasn't won this yet, even though he and I are into a 2 week war here. He has won some battles but so have I.

I am sorry about your 30 year battle with this thing, Ron, but as you just said, "We adjust, we know we have to..And we enjoy life!! That is what I have been doing for the last 10-15 years. "THE BEAST" is definitely smarter that we are, he knows what he's doing, that is obvious. Ron, if you figure out a way to keep him out, permanently, please let me know.
  • What did you do? That type of distraction may send the Beast away temporarily but when he comes back you'll be poorer. There's got to be a less expensive way to deal, understand making your wife mad, but facial repairs from a frying pan to face can be more expensive than your traffic ticket.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • unfortunately my wife has learned to hit me without leaving any marks. i have nothing to show for her hits with a frying pan to my head. she took classes at adult ed to learn how to do this. wham, there she goes again. ouch
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 04/18/2014 - 4:39 AM
    has a couple of cousins, frustration & helplessness that come around to visit our significant other. He doesn't like to play alone, he calls in his cousins to mess with the heads of everyone around us.

Well, for as much as my hubby does without the beasts' cousins hanging around him, when they do come to visit him, I'll take my lumps like a good wife :)

Ps- love that we can all find a little humor in this; when I was working I always used to say the day I lose my sense of humor, is the day they better call the men with the little white coats!
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • The men in the little white coats are is his cousins, frustration and helplessness..They are the ones that wait outside your door in case you loose the battle inside your house with "THE BEAST" they come in and get you...It's best to keep his cousins outside the door, that's what the meds, stretches, ice, walking, TENS and heat are used for--its all about keeping them all at bay, just enough for you to continue living your life ;-)
    Ancestry or other sites to trace the family background of The Beast. Tracing his blood line, I have found
    Elizabeth Bathory among his descendants. Maximillen Robespierre was a cousin on his father's side, while it has been rumored that Nero was his actual father, but both Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan have claimed staked to that fame.

His brother was Tomas De Torquemada, but that Beast doesnt like to talk about him, it seems that his mother favored Tomas , so The Beast set out to out do his brother.

Hence, we have the Current "The Beast"
    learned from Vlad Dracula
    That says it all
  • ron rare form today. my beast is a sissy. i have learned to put him in his place. like i said before the only one i am afraid of is not the beast but my wife, i wear the dress and she wears the pants. have great weekend and i will put the beastess to bed now.
    jon grrrrrr..
  • I think Elizabeth Bathory was his mother, she was vicious enough to produce a beast. Currently, the BEAST is making himself comfy in my right hip and I think his mother, Elizabeth, is sitting in there with him....I am trying to burn them both out now with a hot rice sock!!! I took him for a walk earlier, he did not like this at all. Looks like he won't be leaving today--that means another night with him....sigh
  • taren just turn of his side of the electric blanket and also put his hand in cold water when the beast is asleep. do everything to make life uncomfortable for that sucker. the beast is best when he is bust which is from pamela anderson from bay watch. wink wink i hope you got that reference. be the beast master and the tarenmator. kick him where the sun dont shine and throw him out with the garbage. get one of those things from a judge where he has to keep 100 yards from your house
    jon
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/18/2014 - 4:11 PM
    Lol, Jon, now there's something I didn't think of--taking him to court and getting an EPO on him to keep him away from me..I have been doing everything I can come up with to make his life miserable so he leaves me alone for awhile, I have been walking more than I probably should trying to "P" him off, so far it's not working. I come back from my walk and he just follows me through the front door and makes himself at home. Tonight we went to buy some new porch furniture (I got a really pretty set-very comfortable) he went along, as I knew he would, constantly stabbing my legs as I walked, kept turning the heat off on my seat after about 10 min's or so-he never left my side and shhhh but he's here now, the minute I sat down he crawled right up next to me, at the moment I think he's tying knots in my sciatic nerve and it feels like hes sliding his nails all the way down every nerve in my back, butt and legs....

If I put his hand in cold water, I'm sure I will get the short end of that stick if you know what I mean lol--that will probably be when I feel like there is water running down my leg o_O!! Btw, I got that Pamela Anderson reference, lol *wink wink*

Honestly, I'm doing everything I can to get this "BEAST" to leave for just a little bit, ice, heat, hot soaks, walks, meds, stretching, leaning forward, pillows under my legs, resting-got any ideas on something I'm not thinking of here, I am completely open to any and all suggestions at the moment, sigh, sigh and sigh
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 04/18/2014 - 4:17 PM
    taren
    i know i am making light of this but i wish i could offer more sound advice for you. i think it is in my mental makeup to be able to ignore my pain. i guess i could count myself lucky since i can do this. i will keep positive thoughts for you. good luck and try to learn to ignore it if you can
    jon
  • Ohhh, it's ok Jon, I still have my sense of humor in tact. I don't feel like your are making light of my situation at all. I consider myself pretty darned tough too. I push through it and keep going and trying and trying. Ty for the positive thoughts, I'm working on the ignoring part and I think I'm managing pretty good, I'm still getting done what I need to and then some. So I am far from giving in to this. I have my RFA appointment Tuesday, I so hope it helps with this. I bet the BEAST isn't expecting his little nerves to be burned into, huh?
  • i hope the appointment works out for you . good luck
    jon
  • The BEAST and I had our RFA done Tuesday. The BEAST poked and prodded my butt, hips and legs all the way to the appt. He seemed a lil easier to handle on this trip cuz I knew that very soon my dr was going to burn his tight fingers away from all the nerves in my lumbar area. Another reason this trip was a lil easier was because, I thought that soon, I would have an IV with some Fentanyl and Ativan or Valium for pain and relaxation purposes, boy was I WRONG!!! The only thing I got for relaxation was 2 pillows under my stomach...Oh, and to make me feel somewhat dignified they did cover my bare naked bottom with a sheet....

We began with 1 shot of lidocaine in 5 areas down my lumbar-waited a couple of minutes, and the dr stuck a bigger needle in and started to play with a nerve, the BEAST got mad and ROARRRED loudly, and I grabbed the bed hard and said NO, STOP!! My dr apologized and eventually after 5 more shots of lidocaine down my lumbar my dr was able to burn my nerves and release the grip the beast had on my whole back side. It was not an easy procedure and it did take a toll on my nerves and my tear ducts.....However, the good news is on the way home, instead of the BEAST sitting in the front seat with me pinching, poking, prodding and burning my legs and butt he sat in the back seat-ALONE!!

I think this may have worked!! I still have some pain, but it's a different pain--a better kind of pain, if that makes any sense. I iced for the first 24, one more day of taking it easy and then, as of right now, I plan to go out Saturday and put this RFA procedure to the test by going shopping for a couple of new spring outfits.

I go back to see my dr in 4 weeks for a follow up, I hope I have continued to improve by that point. He says if I still have some pain, that we would schedule my SI joints for an RFA, I feel, I'm going to need this done as well as I still have the same pain as before in my SI joints.

A question, though, my MRI 3 weeks ago showed my main problems to be in my L1-L2 & L5-S1 but when he was touching my nerves he said that my most painful & problematic areas were my L2-L3 & L3-L4...How is that, I wonder? He didn't have an answer either, he said more testing would have to be done to figure out what was going on there. What else can they do to find out, other than the MRI??? I asked about a discogram to find out if those were my more problem discs and he said that a discogram wouldn't be of any help because they already knew that the whole lumbar area was a problem..Is there something that I'm just not understanding about this?? Any insight on this??

Anyway, as of right now, I'm doing ok with the RFA, the BEAST is keeping his distance for the most part. He's still messing around by sending shooting sharp pains down my legs, not constantly though, he still manages to numb my foot and toes up quiet often and still he is smacking my SI joints around a bit, but he and I are not attached at the hip, like before...He is more or less sits a few feet away from me now but stares intently at me, reminding me that he can jump my bones (pun intended) at any second without warning.....With the experience I'm having with the RFA, for now, I would do it again and will be in my SI joints as soon as its scheduled--Thank God for modern medicine and what they are able to do with it!!!
    First, the Beast. It does sound like you have him somewhat under control. And if not, try talking to him, well, really giving him a story, a lie, anything that will fake him out. Then you can whip around him to the right side (never the left) and get one step ahead of him We he recognizes that you are ahead of him, he whimpers a bit ( only to himself) and looks for another candidate to torture.

Now, your MRI , have you had an EMG to go along with the MRI? Only because, the EMG tests can pinpoint to what nerve is causing the problem and the associated disc. The MRI, you would hope would also so a problem with that disc level.

When I had my latest flareup (2,980 - looking for hit 3,000), the MRI indicated a problem with L2/L3 with moderate stenosis. there. But my pain was in the L4/L5/S1 area. I didnt have a new EMG done, but reviewing all my past MRIs, EMG, etc, It did indicate the problem to be in the lower lumbar area, even though the most recent MRI pointed to the upper region.

As far as I am concerned, and this is totally non medical, I just dissect my back into the Cervical Thoracic and Lumbar regions and leave it at that. L1,L3, L4, L5 or T1,T3,T8, C1, C3, except for the specific area that may be effected by a disc level, I just want to know the general area. But that just may be me, because after all these years, I am can no longer get excited or worried about specific disc levels. Yes, if its new, but if its old, oh well..

I dont know if thats a product of my age, or too many spinal problems.

Anyway, Taren, I hope the beast has left you.... If not, whisper in his ear, he can visit me in CT, that will get him out and running this way
  • Well, he did say more testing would be done to figure out the problem in those areas, maybe he was thinking EMG. I see him in 4 weeks for a follow-up, I'm sure we will work on figuring out what's next. My MRI shows the problems at L1 & L2, L5-S1, also a compression fracture that has healed at L2 w/30 loss of vertebral body height & a large schmorle's node along with all the facet & SI joint arthritis. I feel most of my pain at L5 & S1, which is where I have a large central disc protrusion that is causing central canal stenosis and some thecal sac deformity, but my dr says my biggest problem is at L-2,3&4. An EMG is probably a very good idea. Its odd how you feel pain in one area but in reality it could be caused by another area. I'm not sure I understand any of it at the moment....sigh. Oh, well, we will get it all figure out.

Ron, I don't think I could live with myself if I talked the beast into going to CT to hang out with your spine for awhile. I'm sure he will get bored with me soon and decide to move on to the next unsuspecting victim.
  • i have a single friend who could ask the beast out on a date. maybe dinner, all meat, wine and or whine, and desert, a cake. then go to a movie and he could put his arm around the beast and put the moves on the beast. that will keep the beast preoccupied and he won't bother you because he is getting jiggy with my friend. boy am i a genius for figuring this out. let me know if this date works out for you taren. if not, my friend could get a restraining order. boy am i off the wall this morning.
    take care and seriously i hope things work out and get control of the beast
    jon
  • Jon, this works for me, it's perfect timing-it's the weekend!! Do you think your "friend" would care to make it a long weekend date with the beast?? The plans your friend has with the beast sound like a winner, they can get as "jiggy wit' it" as they want, I would welcome the break....Thank you, Jon, and most of all thank your friend for me!!!! Yes, I agree, you are off the wall this morning!!! ;-)

Seriously, I am getting on top of this beast thing-my RFA does seem to have helped quiet a bit. I plan to discuss SI joint RFA, in 4 weeks, with my dr. & what's next in figuring out L2-3 &L3-4. I think the beast if getting a lil bit tired of hanging out here in KY with me...I did see him trying on his selection of sunglasses this morning & he did have sunscreen on his list of things to pick up last night.....maybe he's planning a lil vacation to California, u think?
advertisement