Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF surgery not able to do both discs

In December I had an ALIF for my L4/L5 and L5/S1. Going in the Dr. told me that he may not be able to do the L/4 L/5 due to its location. He did not get to it. He only could get the L/5 S/1. How did your surgery go? I have been in pain since the surgery. Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering what my prognosis is going to end up being. I also have a broad based disc bulge at my C/6 C/7. I had steroid injections in my right and left sacroiliac joints and am scheduled for another injection on May 1 for my cervical disc bulge. and help would by appreciated. How did your sur

• 64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
    edited 04/19/2014 - 12:36 AM
    Except my surgeon decided just beforehand not to add the 4/5 to 5/1. He said after fully studying the discogram, cat scan, and MRI's, that 5/1 was my major problem. However, he did say with the shape of my L's all being bulged and or ruptured, it was a matter of time before I'd be back and on the road to failed back surgery syndrome.
    Good and bad news is I attained immediate relief of back pain, 50% maybe, which wasn't even a probability, but almost no relief from the nerve issues of shooting burning and pain in the right leg hip and foot. Since then the back pain as bad as ever, up to 18-24 months it took before they decided it was permanent nerve damage. Dont give up hope right out of the gate. They will try steriods and lyrica and such for 18 months and that may do the trick. The nerve has been pxssed off for a while. It wont get better for a while. That was 2010 and since then I've had a SCS installed in sept last year to try and block the damaged L5 nerve. It's a help but not as effective as it was in sept. I've started trying to accept that I am slated for a lifetime of narcotics and I'm it doing a very good job of it.

Sorry for my story but there are successes here. Don't freak out based on mine.

Good luck and keep us posted. This site has given me hope and strength even when I've been at the lowest point in my life. At the time, my very short term life left. Thank god I reached out and they reached back.
  • That he couldn't get to L4 while doing an ALIF. Was there a structural issue? ALIF's are usually done because it allows surgeons better access and visibility of the disks from the front.

I'm sorry it wasn't as successful as everyone would have liked. I think it's everyone's fear of having revision surgeries because of the stress caused on disks above the fusion site.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2