Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Activities Post Spinal Cord Stimulator Implant

SambotSSambot Posts: 2
edited 04/19/2014 - 12:56 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi everyone,

I've been really curious as to how active I might be now that I've had the implant surgery, although it was only two weeks ago. I haven't been given any specific information from my surgeon. I used to be very active, and I'd love to be able to claw at least some of my former lifestyle back. I've done some research, and have published a list of do's and don'ts on my blog, which I discovered on, and adapted from, a UK hospital website.

It does not cover everything, although I recognise that common sense should prevail. Can anyone confirm if using an elliptical trainer, and/or swimming are ok after the stimulator implant?

Thank you very much,

• from my PM office, they tell me to go ahead and drive when I am ready, but turn the stim off while driving. Mine is for the lumbar, so there may be a difference. Your list sounds way more restrictive than what I was told. I know the first 6 weeks is for scar tissue to set in to reduce migration risk.

Sorry to hear of your struggle.
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
  • My scs is for my lower lumbar L-3,L-4,L-5,S-1 I was wondering what I'll be able to do after having my SCS I can't actually do much now my back is so painful I'm awake oat nights I'm very excited to hear I might be able to enjoy the pool in my yard with my little girl thx
  • I am 5 weeks post-op and I went in a pool and lake with my kids. They were glad to have me out there and feeling happy. I did take it easy though.
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
  • I am hoping someone will post positive experiences. Mostly what I have read makes me frightened. I hope this works. The trial worked great, but I am hearing that is not necessary what will happen after surgery. I know that there will have to be many adjustments by the tech. I am just hoping that at the end of the rainbow, I will have amazing results without anything bad happening like them moving (I know I have to be very careful). I am very concerned about the battery. I am 4"10" and 118. I read that the battery burns, hurts, sticks out, etc. I'm 68 and afraid. I would love to hear something encouraging. Thanks
  • Phyliss,

You'll be OK. I've had my stimulator for 5 1/2 years now. It manages about 50% of my pain. The battery doesn't burn. It does get a little warm sometimes when I charge but nothing uncomfortable. I have no restrictions, although I think my pain management doctor would like to apply some restrictions because I can't seem to sit still for any length of time. If not for the stimulator, my life would be horrible. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease with secondary Dystonia last year. My stimulator makes my neuropathy the least of my worries.

Try to relax.