Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

when to go for a surgery ???

WTWWT Posts: 46
hello Guys.
i've had an MRI showing a herniated/bulging disc in L5S1.
sciatica pain moving from buttock/leg/foot. not back pain though.just stiffness.

i was just wondering.
When do i have to give up . knowing i should go through a surgery.
i mean. whats the reasonable time i should bear and try pills/injections/exercises//etc...
until i know this needs to go through a surgery ,
this all started 20 days ago. 10 days was on pills and painkillers.until i started to get a bit better.then.
i ve had an epidural injection. 10days ago. i dont think it helped a lot though.
but now,i can walk as much as i want. and pain is bearable.i just cant sit .
sometimes i reach a point where theres no pain.and sometimes all goes back.
im not on meds and pills anymore.im doing some aqua exercises.and the pain is so bearable already.
but the question.when will i have to consider doing a surgery. before its too late.cos i dont want to be left with a nerve damage.
please anyone.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    on when surgery is the only answer comes between you and your doctor. It could be 5 weeks after being diagnosed with a spinal problem or 5 years.
    When there is nerve damage involved, the surgeons will probably opt for surgery sooner than later. I adhere to that approach.
    Nerve damage is very difficult to work through. So, if having surgery will potentially avoid follow on nerve problems, then having the surgery sooner is better.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Good news.
    after seeing several doctors.who asked for immediate surgery.
    i have seen today 2 of the most known doctors.(neurosurgeons)and they both were totally against any surgery . they said i have 85% chance to recover without surgery, and they said im 2 far from having any kind of nerve damage, or foot drop.cos an L5S1 can never do a foot drop,as for the S1 nerve root. it only happens with L5 nerve root.especially that the power of my toes and my ankle still there, and improving.(after backstrokes swimming for 3 weeks).they asked me to continue swimming.and lying back for 3 more weeks. and hopefully will be doing great. especially that my pain is so bearable lately,and sometimes disappearing. im so happy for that. i hope everyone will hear good news to give them more energy to face this pain and this isolation.i would be so happy to help anyone improving, the way i improved .all was out of days and nights of researches.thanks for spine-health which gave me the knowledge to know how every injury is and when to go for a surgery and when just to wait and try.and have hope.
    best of luck for all.