Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SWIMMING.... plz help

WTWWT Posts: 46
hi again Guys.
so curious. since Not even 1 Drs would tell you clearly or give u any kind of advices. which is ODD.
they just want to go into some surgery.
i 've had MRI . L5S1 with sciatica pain.
1 week of chronic pain. reduced.next week. had my first spinal injection.not bad. but not great though.
now i can walk. no pills no painkillers.i ve been thinking to avoid surgery and do some swimming exercises.
i just need to know.
is it REALLY improving? in my case? to have aqua exercises and swimming?
i have started for 3 days.well. i can tell sometimes i feel im fresh. especially after im done with it.and sometimes.same pain.
please if anyone have any information about SWIMMING. and if it can make u avoid a surgery.please POST.
Thank you.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    That is a difficult question to answer. And only your doctor knows for sure.

For me personally, between my cervical and lumbar surgeries, the only way I could swim without problems would be to use a kick board. The old method of head, side to side in the water would only cause more pain
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i used to swim aftee my firs couple of fusions and the good thing about swimming is that the stress on ones back or rest of their body is reduced by the water. i used to swim for 30 minutes and when i got out there was no pain or discomfort at all. the only issue i had were we had to share swimming lanes and there are always some hotshots who think they own the lane. the way one is supposed to do is tap a person on the foot to let them know you want to pass. i grabbed the side of the pool once to let a guy go by but i guess i did not do it fast enough and he hit me on the head with his water bottle when he got out. this happened the first day. welcome to the famous place to swim by getting hit on the head. gurgle gurgle
    it was great exercise and no harm with me at least
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I find swimming causes me pain after. I had to stop. Now I just do the aqua therapy exercises when I go to the pool. As to whether swimming will avoid surgery, ask your doctor about all your options. Often a course of physical therapy which could include swimming or exercise in water will be tried before surgery is considered.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 04/20/2014 - 8:44 AM
    There are some spine problems that surgery can be avoided and others that for the best outcome, surgery is strongly suggested. What has your surgeon recommended and why did he recommend surgery?