Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WTWWT Posts: 46
edited 04/19/2014 - 10:19 AM in Spinal Injections
i was just wondering,
if a steroid injection helped taking off the pain by 80%
does that mean, the nerve is still pinched and is risking still being damaged? and the pain is relieved simply cos this injection is like drug? and making the pain go simply like painkillers?
or cos its a cure, and making the nerve less pinched?
please i need to know.
i appreciate any opinion.

one more thing im so curious about.if im not taking ANY meds now.and there are hours when i lay down with no pain..does this mean, the nerve is less pinched?
or its already pinched and pressured but im in some position that i cant feel it.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    I am not a medical professional, so what I am about to say is based solely on my own medical experiences.

The major objective of an ESI is to reduce some of the inflammation in the disc area that is inflamed, causing an impingement on a nerve root. When the ESI is successful then generally, the inflammation is reduced, so that the the pressure on a nerve root lessens.

However, that does not correct the situation, it only makes it more tolerable. There are times when ESIs can help to a degree where the inflammation disappears and then potentially the impingement of a nerve root for a disc can slowly start to disappear.

However, until the reason that the disc is impinging a nerve root disappears, the problem wll probably continue.

When you have many disc related issues, when you lay down flat with no pressure on the discs, the pain may decrease.

Your best bet is to watch this over a couple of days, record everything and then discuss it with your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • buffgirl23bbuffgirl23 Posts: 77
    edited 04/19/2014 - 3:53 PM
    I was told that an epidural steroid injection is used to decrease inflammation and promote healing. The healing part is when the nerve may become less pinched. Or it may provide enough pain relief to start physical therapy.
  • WTWWT Posts: 46
    edited 04/25/2014 - 3:58 AM
    Duplicate post deleted - forum violation Please follow this thread at: http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/sciatica-leg-pain-radiculopathy/when-go-surgery#comment-332179

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator
  • any injection is not going to cure/fix the problem when it comes to spine issues. Injections are done for two reasons, one being diagnostic- to confirm that the area they are injecting is in fact, the source of your pain. These type of injections usually contain lidocaine or other numbing type of medications and may contain a bit of steroid to ease inflammation but usually they contain more numbing medication. They may also be called blocks- since the purpose is to block the pain.
    Steroid containing injections, such as esi's or transforaminal injections are done to ease swelling and inflammation- these are done to see if they have any effect on the pain and inflammation in that area. Some get great relief, and others some or none......these will not cure the condition but will offer a temporary reprieve from the inflammation and pain .