Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bit of progress this week .... encouragement to others

Hi - despite some days being a bit stuck mentally, I have now realised I have done quite a few new things this week ... week 8 postop from a 2 level fusion with rods and screws, TLIF, cages, cyst removed from spinal canal, facet joint removed and another filled with a cage ...
Still getting some nerve pain down my right leg, still get really tired about six in the evening and still not walking as far as I had hoped ... but trying. Also not sleeping anywhere near as much, but making myself rest in the afternoons.

I drove the car for the first time ... not far, just locally, but fine
Tonight we went to friends for dinner for the first time .
Given up the night time Oxycontin 5mg and taking a coproxamol (Perocot?) This was also reduced from 10mg a couple of weeks ago
Given up the night time Diazepam too ... I love that stuff but glad to be able to control it well

So ... progress, hang in there everybody!

• WTWWT Posts: 46
    edited 04/19/2014 - 11:48 AM
    Thanks for sharing.
    i m new to this forum, and i believe i've seen people are real close to each others and hoping the best to each others ,feeling each others too,which honestly is rare nowadays.
    i'm Glad u're improving,and especially sharing to give hope for others.
    hope u'll be feeling greater with time.
  • I'm glad you showing improvement and feeling better, Maximummy, sounds like you had a rough go of it with your surgery. Hope the progress continues.
  • I have yet to see neurosurgeon re herniated L4-5 and other list of smaller back issues, but seeing you improve gives me courage to face my appt Tues. Hopefully I will be a success story like you. Taking less drugs yet doing more, Wow! You rock.
  • This is great to hear! Any progress is good progress, as far as I'm concerned. We all know that recovering from surgery is often really frustrating, but it's awesome and encouraging when we can take a moment to feel proud of ourselves and each other for all the steps we're taking, even the baby steps.
    For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

panic disorder - borderline personality disorder
    arthritis - fibromyalgia - multiple herniations - CES
    04/13/14: microdiscectomy / laminectomy at L5-S1
  • It's great that things are improving for you now Maximummy.............remember that spine surgery is a journey, not a destination. It takes a while to get there but in the end it's worth it.........
  • Thank you all ... Nobody has ever complimented me on ROCKING before! There is life in this old 58 year old grandma yet!
    Did too much yesterday and gave myself a fright ...
    Bent little too far because I was silly and felt something POP . Lay down immediately,painkiller and heat pad and just rested ... Today a bit achey but no harm done. Have to keep reminding myself about how all the movements add up to more pain or worry. Got a first today ... A monthly group I belong to and this will be my first visit for four months and I will drive there and
    back. Not far and it will be just lunch and I can leave early if I need to .... A bit of my real life, hope it is a good day and I don't pay tomorrow ... And yes, have no plans tomorrow so that I do take it easy.
  • I'm happy to hear that you're making progress. A bit of normalcy can go a long way!

Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • My wish is that all of us will continue to make progress!!!!! Enjoy your outing!
  • Well .... Nine weeks in and today I drove 20 minutes each way to a lunch group. No problems in the car. During lunch I had to stand up here and there and after a long, three hour girls lunch my bottom ahead had enough! Came home, bed and heat pad and no real harm done and I feel as if I am slowly rejoining the human race! Hope or the same for everybody else out there!
  • It is great to hear from everybody and learn from their experiences, to have the support of others when struggling through the pain and frustration, and to celebrate with each other when things look up!
    It's so good to hear about your positive progress! Congratulations and keep up the great work!

And I echo that...hang in there everybody!
  • Way to go Maximummy!!!!
  • Thank you everybody .... Well yes, I did go out, yes I drove the car .... Wednesday still tired so had a quiet day, but as the day wore on the soreness from doing all that seemed to trigger the few worse days ... Thursday I developed a new sensation ... A lot of pain in my right calf ... Some of it a nerve pain like sciatica but also a new one ... Feels like when you have your blood pressure taken ... Like a tightness and feeling of the leg ' blowing' up. Yesterday it was still not better, so I took a small dose of diazepam and an Amitryptyline for the nerve pain and got on with the day and my husband drove me to walk round with him for some food shopping, had a quick lunch out and then we spent the rest of the afternoon watching a box set DVD on the bed together .... Very nice seeing at 9 weeks there is no 'together'!!! Had a good night, which generally I do now, and this morning things feels easier .... So everything is still going good/bad, bad/good and I am, at least, having fewer really bad days now! So, I suppose I am trying to hang on and stay encouraged .... Keep me up to date with your progress too .. And thanks
    TLIF 2 level fusion with rods, screws etc at L4/L5 and L5/S1, facet joint removed and cage and bone graft in, cyst removed, / nerve decompressions, veins cleared
  • Even if you have to take a step or two back, forward progress is forward progress. The bad days will come and go, sometimes the pain will be unbearable (momentarily or for days), but there will also be those good days where you do drive for the first time in 2 months and that really is progress. And despite more bad days, more symptoms, that is still something you couldn't do before. Even if you can't do it again for a few days/ few weeks it's more than you could do before and that's something to be proud of.
    Having said that, I am sorry to hear that you've got new pain :( I hope it doesn't get you down. Know that we are all rooting for you and that you're not alone.
  • Thanks again to another bit of encouragement and I really hope other people reading these posts Are also encouraged and comforted ... Today was a better day ... Drove a short distance to a friend for coffee, ten minute walk in the afternoon, minimum medication ... Leg pain better .... So another few bad days behind me and hopefully at least a few good days ahead
  • It is a process to get back into life and there are a few setbacks, but you are doing really well and handling them as they come.......sounds like things are going really well. I'm happy for you.